Should you turn your computer off at night? We asked an expert

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Mar 4, 2019.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Arif Bacchus @abacjourn

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I've always turned off my machines at night for years, and still do it with Win 10 (fast startup disabled)

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I also turn it off at night. As my primary disk is SSD, HDD doesn't start to spin until I start an operation that needs that disk (start torrenting or something). I don't see a need for it to run all the time.

4. Floyd 57

Floyd 57 Registered Member

[citation needed]

Also all the other things mentioned are ********, you'll want to replace your pc components because they'll be outdated waaaaay before the miniscule damage from tear and wear actually has an effect. For example, I've got an IPS LCD monitor that has been used for 5+ years 16-20 hours a day, and has no issues. And you don't really need a surge protector if you've got a quality PSU (example tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/986897-psu-tier-list-30/ anything not mentioned is trash, anything below D should not be used with expensive components). Though a UPS does help for when your electricity provider randomly has some problems and decides it's time to restart your electricity 3 times in 15 mins

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I not sure if someone from Geek Squad can be considered an expert. The main laptop I use, I have running about 12 hours a day, seven days a week. At night I put it to sleep, or turn it off. At times it has been locking up, instead of entering sleep mode, which I why I've got in the habit of shutting it down. Since I use a SSD, it's very quick to boot Windows. I have my broswer configured to reopen the pages I had open previously too, so it doesn't make too much difference if I power it off or put it to sleep. I only leave it running at night, when I'm downloading a large file.
    It is has been my experience that rebooting every now and then, sometimes does improve performance, particularly if it's been days since rebooting.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Some Geek Squad members are very knowledgeable.

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I'm sure that is the case. I don't have any personal experience with Geek Squad.

8. Floyd 57

Floyd 57 Registered Member

Idk, maybe if you're using a toaster :D

~ Off Topic Funny Image Video Removed as Per Policy ~

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2019
  9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Perhaps no other end user (I know of anyway) is seen such uninterrupted 24/7/365 as on my machines. Gateway Asus (old models) is proven massively resilient in leaving it on constantly day and night for months at a time.

However due to the low memory capacity I usually find it becomes of necessity on occasion during one day each week where I pull the plug and drain the capacitor before restarting it back up again. I'm of the mind that the hard drive will be first to go once it's run all it's spin out eventually. But to my utter amazement the thing continues to perform at optimum levels over the longest periods of time I could never have imagined before.

Fact that it runs Windows 8.1 likely has it's part in the longevity of my systems. Certainly wouldn't trust Windows 10 to last as long on subpar hardware & memory as proficient as 8.1 is proving out to be.

10. Infected

Infected Registered Member

Not calling you a liar, but I've yet to meet one...

11. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

Working for Geek Squad does not automatically make one an "expert", that's for sure.

12. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

We have to turn off it basically to save energy. All us in the world use and waste too much energy, and we see the dramatical consequences. If all us keep in mind it, also in all little things, we could save a lot of resources.

13. newbino

newbino Registered Member

+1

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I also turn off at night. I think computer design plays a big factor. Both my desktops have the drives sitting in the case air intake stream and they are layed out to maximise air flow. Everything in the cases are desgned to maximize air flow. I think that is a huge factor for longevity

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I have mine backed up fully and regularly and fact is, I feel like with the nonstop long duration of no reboot procedure mine run at, they should have been toast over a year ago. The units are roughly 6 years plus from first hookup. But not complaining.

It just reinforces what I always determined, and that is some PC's are cleverly designed to way outlast their expected life period.
    Which works out just fine on this end.

16. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

I have my pc running twenty four hours a day for many years. It's a mini pc with Motherboard ASRock E350M1 kindly built for me new by my daughter's boyfriend. The capacitors in this motherboard are as good as new.
    On older pcs, often there came to be a problem with useless capacitors which domed etc, in otherwise good systems...it was a well known problem at the time. Rumour had it that millions of these bad capacitors had been produced and were in a broad range of motherboards. I've seen these bad capacitors in many pc motherboards.
    For me, what I have seen over the years is the fans get put under strain because of dust even in what seems like a clean home environment. I have a face powder brush with very soft bristles that I use now and again to clean the dust in conjunction with the careful use of a vacuum cleaner. I don't like to open the case uneccessarily but I think it is needed now and again. I believe that smokers pc fans suffer a lot from a mixture of tobacco tar and house dust and then running a pc all day and night could put a stress on pc components if not cleaned regularly. Some people believe that is not the case but it's what I believe. A pc is a series of interconnected components so a weakness in one is a weakness in all...that's my logic, right or wrong. Bad capacitors and struggling fans can wreck a pc. On the whole it seems that good modern pcs should last for years running twenty four hours a day in a clean environment with a little physical maintenance.
    I think that turning the pc off each day forcing the components between one condition and another cannot be a good thing. These are just my thoughts.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I turn it off at night and hibernate it during the day. Some statistics:"As of October 2014, there were nearly 2 billion personal computers used worldwide."
    https://www.energuide.be/en/questio...-use-and-how-much-co2-does-that-represent/54/

• "A desktop uses an average of 200 W/hour when it is being used (loudspeakers and printer included). A computer that is on for eight hours a day uses almost 600 kWh and emits 175 kg of CO2 per year.
    • A laptop uses between 50 and 100 W/hour when it is being used, depending on the model. A laptop that is on for eight hours a day uses between 150 and 300 kWh and emits between 44 and 88 kg of CO2 per year.
    • In stand-by mode the power consumption of both a desktop and a laptop falls to about a third. This contributes to the 'vampire draw' of your household."
    https://www.energuide.be/en/questio...-use-and-how-much-co2-does-that-represent/54/

Now even without doing the math, one can see that even idle computers multiplied by 2 billion (probably a lot more in 2019) will be an immense waste of energy and another contributing factor to climate change... Think about it.

18. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

I put my laptop to sleep by using mouse (not by closing lid). I use sleep extensively.
    I turn the laptop off when I leave the house.

19. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Good post Osaban:thumb:

20. guest

guest Guest

letting a machine turned on permanently? really? seems people like to waste money LOL

21. login123

login123 Registered Member

+1 Individuals' expertise is not dependent on where they work.

I leave my computers on for a few days at a time. They are set to turn the monitor and HDD off after a short time then standby.
    Keeps the capacitors warm. :)
    Not sure that's the best way, but it works pretty well here.

22. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

I keep my Mac computer on in "Sleep Mode" during the night and Window 7 computers are shut down at night. Mac is the main computer and Win 7's are running test beta software.

23. Deletedmessiah

Deletedmessiah Registered Member

I always turn them off at night except when downloading large files which only happens 4-5 times a year.

24. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Same here.

25. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Turn it off. Not even a question.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.