should Userinit.exe be protected ??

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by nicM, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi :D . I recently learned that most of dangerous Trojans/Malware often "put" themselves in "IniFileMapping", and "Userinit", under Windows XP ( what equals to the Shell, or "System.ini", for the formers Windows versions, I think). So, I would like to know if someone has added Userinit.exe in his Program protection list o_O .

Cheers :D

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi nico-nico, I do not have that .exe in my protection list and do not recall seeing it on any other. :)
    Remember a program would need to run to use userinit and you would be alerted by the checksum facility, also .dll injection is prohibited providing you have the General option 2 enabled

HTH Pilli

3. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi, Pilli :D . Ah, OK, it would that way be unnecessary, according to what you said (and maybe delicate to configure, I guess...). Thanks :D . I will not try to make "too much" with my "protection" list... ;)

Cheers! :D

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

The rule is quite simple, protect everything that connects to the Net and the default processes that come with Process Guard. It is easy the build a wall around oneself without any doors.

5. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hmmmm.... "everything that connects to the Net", you said ? It looks like I'll increase my list of protected program.....

Thanks for the Tip, the "wall without doors" regarding IE speaks for itself.. ;)

Cheers ! :D

6. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Just make sure you don't get internet explorer many "Allow" privileges, because if it becomes compromised, it might be able to take down the rest of your Process Guard protected programs if it has the right "Allow" flags given to it.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Internet Explorer does have "issues" but you can control them relatively easily. Two excellent programs aid. BhoDemon handles the Browers Helper Objects, which can be used for nasty purposes. The other is PopUpCop. I originally bought it for popups, but it does a wonderful job of alerting to Active X and drive by download issues. Used inconjunction with the DCS family and an antivirus/firewall, I've not had any problems.

8. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi, Jason and Peter 2150 :D . About the IE's Allowed flags: right,I think that only security softs should be granted ALL allowed flags (with later adjustments if needed, for applications like IE :D ).
    And I'm actually trying BHOdemon, seems very useful :cool: . ( never heard about Popupcop, but I run Norton's firewall, doing quite the same, I think, when setted at it's maximum security level ;) ) .

Cheers !

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Better to do it the other way round, Only enable the first four Block flags which is the default, then watch the logging and enable allow flags only when necessary. ;)

Internet Explorer's default of four block flags - No allows and no options works fine on my three machines. :)

10. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi! My IE comes with read and get info allowed flags, what must be inoffensive... :cool: ; But I am surprised, as it has "allow global hook", in options, too. And I'm quite sure that it came with the default wizard from PG itself o_O Whatever, I'll make a try without "allow global hook", to see what happen...
    Oh, and by the way, it would surely be "delicate" to protect Userinit, as it seems to change permanently. (an anti-spyware soft, Flowprotector, that I tried, noticed changes about it at each start; and all of theses changes were surely legit; so...)

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Nothing wrong with trying :) Please let us know how you get on - Pilli

12. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hmmmmm, if you are really interrested in the result, I'll volunteer to do that :'( ... . But according to the permanent changes I noticed in Flowprotector about that, I would rather miss my turn :oops: . Hemmmmm :oops: :oops: ...

13. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi ! :) . OK, as I'm curious, I finally made a try with "userinit.exe" protected...
    and, well, it seems to work "quietly", no apparents problems :D . But I'm not sure to keep it in the protected list, as it seems that this .exe file is just a "launcher", and protecting this only .exe isn't enough to "protect", because that should be the Registry entries (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit , and HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping), which should moreover be protected, I think o_O . So it would be a job for "Reg Prot", from Diamondcs, right ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.