Should the Shadow Defender code be acquired by a proper developer?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by CyberMan969, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

After the complete lack of support that us SD devotees have suffered for more that two years now, I found myself thinking of how great it would be if the long-suffering SD code could be acquired by a proper developer.

Imagine if the SD code was to be given the wealth of developmental resources and the transparency of operation it deserves. In my view one company would be ideal for such a task: Comodo.

Why Comodo? The reason for this is very simple. Comodo already makes some great freeware security apps. It is also one of the very few mainstream software companies where even the CEO (Melih Abdulhayoglu) frequently logs into the forums and communicates directly with the users of his software. It's an undeniable fact that Melih is a very down-to-earth guy. He is approachable and he will even personally respond to questions by end users of his software. Such a level of communication is a rare thing; in fact a lot of CEOs could learn a thing or two from Melih when it comes to open-mindedness, people skills, and approachability.

Imagine the excellent SD code being developed properly and kept current, in order to withstand modern threats as these threats evolve. Imagine it being developed openly with the transparency of operation it deserves, a transparency that a company like Comodo can provide. Imagine it becoming integrated into an excellent freeware Internet Security suite like Comodo's, or even as part of a future version of the forthcoming Comodo Time Machine 3. Imagine excellent snapshoting tech combined with the sturdiness of SD's light virtualization, all under one roof.

With these thoughts in mind I decided to start a little experiment; so I started a poll at the Comodo Internet Security sub-forum asking users to vote on this matter. I know it's a very long shot, but if you like the idea of SD becoming part of the Comodo family with its code brought up to date and becoming integrated into an existing freeware Comodo utility, (or maybe released as a new freeware Comodo program on its own right), then visit the following link, register, vote, exchange ideas, get involved.

http://forums.comodo.com/wishlist-c...rtualization-functions-into-cis-t86643.0.html

It can happen if enough of us want it to.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I will not register just to vote,So I will say no to comodo, I rather see Tzuk have it.

3. CyberMan969

Sandboxie and SD together would have been absolutely awesome, but I doubt that Tzuk would have the sort of money that 'Tony' would ask for. Also, Comodo would offer more resources towards future development IMHO.

4. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I prefer SD stays as it is...:cool:
    v.331 and counting...:D

5. CyberMan969

After more than two years of silence with a complete lack of any sort of transparency on development and a total lack of support, do you seriously trust the fact that 'Tony' is back and that he will deliver a new version fully compatible with SSDs and Win8? I don't. Do you trust the v331 changelog which was added months after that version was silently released, and only after a torrent of complaints from SD users? I don't. The whole thing is most probably a ploy by the current SD owners in order to pacify the SD die-hards and keep the program selling and the money rolling in.

What has happened since 'Tony' suddenly reappeared? A few support e-mails have been answered, then silence again. Patrick (sdmod) has once again repeatedly e-mailed Tony with no reply. I'm fed up with this whole charade and I'm hardly the only one. I would much rather have the code in the hands of a reputable vendor like Comodo, a company that has a proven track record of producing solid security apps, which are made available to the public for free. At least we will have proper support and transparency with Comodo, not to mention much better developmental resources to keep the program current with evolving threats. It's common-sensical really.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

How can anyone buy the code when no one can find Tony.

As to who I want to have the code, well I'll just leave that one alone. When SD is no longer useable, I'll will give serious consideration to Returnil.

Pete

7. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I was wondering the same thing. o_O

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Same here! :thumb:

9. CyberMan969

If there was ever to be a serious offer by a big company with money on the table, then you would be amazed at how quickly 'Tony' would be made available again. The SD people are not stupid. If Comodo was to be interested and e-mailed them their interest, then I can guarantee you that 'Tony' would answer in a heartbeat...

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

If Comodo or another big Security vendor
    takes Shadow Defender and screw it
    the way some big guys did to some fine software they acquired (there are many examples...:blink:),
    then, I prefer Shadow Defender to stay as it is.

11. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

If the real Tony is back, I believe many of SD users would appreciate that Tony himself continues with the development. However, if the real Tony himself wants to 'sell' his SD code, then I'd leave it to him to decide which developer(s) are suitable.

Now, since no one can really verify that the real Tony is back, how would the code possibly and legally be acquired by another developer(s)?

12. CyberMan969

Same here. Somehow I have faith in Comodo doing a good job with it though. Just a gut feeling..

13. CyberMan969

If Tony is back for real, then of course I'd prefer it for him to continue developing the program, there's no question about that. If it's not him and the current owners pose as Tony in order to pacify us and keep the program selling, then it would be best if they sold the code (assuming of course that Tony has given them full access to it in the first place).

If the SD project has indeed been hijacked, then there will be no hope of a real new version appearing. The future will show...

14. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Comodo seems like a perfect fit.

15. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I had a thread for this on Wilders once before a few months ago. I think it should be acquired by the author of Sandboxie or Malware Defender. If not them then BlueRidge Networks should acquire it if at all possible.

16. CyberMan969

Nice to see you dropping by Edgetech!

The reason I mentioned Comodo is because it's of the very few 'mainstream' companies where transparency of development is evident. As I mentioned on my first post of this thread, even their CEO is approachable and down to earth, and he personally replies to questions and ideas from end-users of his software. I can't think of any other CEO of a big company that is so open with the users of their software. This is the kind of transparency and approachability that we need with SD.

It would also be great if Tzuk had the code, but his resources are more limited and developing two things at the same time may be too much for him. Comodo would offer more developmental resources IMO.

360 Labs wouldn't be ideal just because of the simple fact that it is another Chinese company. My personal experience when dealing with Chinese companies hasn't been the best so far (and I have had extensive dealings with many of them when I was importing chinese gadgets to the UK). There is always a communication barrier, transparency of operation is not always important to them, and certain things are perceived by them as a sign of weakness. Chinese developers would often say nothing rather than openly admit that they are not sure about something and 'lose face'. This is just a part of the often complicated Chinese mindset.

BlueRidge Networks would also be great for SD, just like Comodo they have a proven track record of producing great security software. The only problem that I see with them is that they would most probably develop SD into a commercial application, whereas with Comodo there is a very good chance that it would be released as another Comodo freeware app, or integrated into an existing Comodo freeware program (like a future version of the upcoming CTM 3.0). Imagine excellent snapshot and light virtualization tech, both within the same freeware program! Comodo is also a bigger company, and as such it would offer more developmental resources as I mentioned earlier.

17. jo3blac1

As long as whoever buys it doesn't convert it into a rentware!

18. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Yes, it should, it's a great software, it shouldn't be abandoned.

But acquired from who? :doubt:

19. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Yes good question.:thumb: .
    Who are the current owners of shadow defender?
    How did they acquire it?
    :thumb: :ninja:

20. CyberMan969

As I mentioned before, if there is a will there is a way. If an e-mail was sent by a well-known company with a serious offer for discussions, then I'm sure that 'Tony' would answer in a heartbeat. Hell, I would personally go to China and knock down doors myself if I had to, for as long as a reputable company like Comodo was to be up with a serious offer!

21. SLE

SLE Registered Member

No one sells anything, so no one can buy anything. That's all.
    So we can speculate and vote as much as we will, it's pure nonsense.

btw.: Comodo had a similar app years ago (Comodo Diskshield) but stopped development.

22. jo3blac1

Yeah and Comodo users don't seem to be very enthusiastic about SD either. I posted my support in there but the thread is only 2 pages long or so. Maybe if it was 24 pages then the CEO would look at it differently. As much as everyone loves SD, I'm pretty sure its going to die a slow death.
    Maybe wilders could buy it? But who would develop it?

23. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Comodo started many projects, but they dropped these projects...:mad:
    One should stay in their core competencies...;)

24. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  25. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I'm not so sure the original author of Malware defender works for 360 Labs. I believe 360 Labs acquired it later. Shadaw Defender does not need a lot of change which would be my worry if Comodo was to acquire it. They release a lot of builds that sometimes come with new bugs. If it isn't broken then don't fix it definitely applies to Shadow Defender. All it needs is someone to make it compatible with new OS's, and hardware like SSD's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.