Should the "Remote Assistance" option be check-marked by default?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by RCGuy, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Hey folks, I'm just curious. In My Computer's System Properites under the Remote tab, should the "Allow Remote Assistance invitations" option already be check-marked by default? I just looked at mine and the "Allow Remote Assistance invitations" option was already check-marked and I don't remember it being check-marked the last time that I looked at it.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You can uncheck it. Check later to see if it's still unchecked. :)

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

You can also disable it in Administrative Tools/Services/Remote access. I have it set to manual.

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I have both "Remote Assistance" and "Remote Desktop" totally disabled in Services.

I have absolutely no idea whether or not having them on is a real potential liability - I just know that the term "Remote" in any kind of "control" context, is enough to give me the creeping horrors.

And - just like RCGuy - I've seen the damned thing turn on without my input - I just can't remember whether it was after a Windows Update or whether it was after working with my ISP on a computer connection problem. Pete

[MOVE]remote control of your computer will commence in 5..4..3..2..1 :D [/MOVE]

5. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    If you don't need it switch this off, the best way is to turn off the service in 'services.msc', as mentioned by Spy1.
    It could be a risk, you don't want to 'invite' someone from the internet come and do things on your computer.

regards
    Lamehand

6. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

I almost forgot about this thread, but I went ahead and followed Ron's suggestion and later went back and looked at it and it was still unchecked. However, I'm still a little bit concerned because I always thought that the "Remote Assistance" option was un-checked by default. Makes me wonder how it got check-marked in the first place. Hmmm. o_O

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

It comes that way on any fresh install of the OS (trust me, I've done enough of them here! <g> ). Pete

8. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Just for beginners reading, be careful if you are going to disable services in services.msc, because several are required for normal system operation, like RPC (Remote Procedure Call). Disable that one and it can cause problems with Windows. Good idea to backup your OS partition before you start playing with services. No harm in unchecking the remote options as RCGuy did.

9. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Thanks, Pete. I just had a fresh install of my OS a couple of weeks before I first posted this thread. :) Although, that doesn't seem like a good thing for it to come that way after the installation of the OS. Especially for people who don't know that it's like that. :doubt: Seems kind of dangerous to me. :blink:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  10. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Wanna hear something interesting? Well, first of all, I dumped AOL's Safety and Security Center because of it being so heavy and slowing down my computer. But, to replace the SASC's firewall and antivirus programs, I utilized Windows Firewall and installed AntiVir PE Classic. But anyway, I opened the Windows Security Center and clicked on the "Windows Firewall" link to see if their firewall program now had any activity logs, etc.(Traditionally, Windows Firewall doesn't provide access to any type of activity logs or anything.) But getting back to what I was talking about, after clicking on the "Windows Firewall" link, the Windows Firewall dialgoue box appeared on the screen and I noticed it had an "Exceptions" tab. Well, I decided to click on the "Exceptions" tab and I noticed that amongst the list of "Programs and Service" that were checked-marked as exceptions was "Remote Assistance." :eek: Therefore, in additon to having the "Remote Assistance" option check-marked by default in the Windows OS System Properties, the "Remote Assistance" is also check-marked by default as one of Windows Firewall's "Exceptions." :mad: I'm sorry, but something about that just doesn't seem right. :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.