Should potentially unwanted/unsafe be enabled on server?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by slyder, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slyder

slyder Registered Member

Hi,
    Should potentially unwanted/unsafe application scanning be enabled on servers?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

They can all be enabled if you want to . However if you use some tools that may be detected you will need to disable the detection for them .

I think this is OK for an average server ;)

Attached Files:

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I wouldn't...if this is a production server and you know it's clean from the start.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

For the "unsafe applications" I agree . However ESET clasifies some toolbars and related things as "unwanted applications" , not adware/riskware . I once found a nasty toolbar on a client's machine which ,I think, turned out to be classified not as an adware but was detected by NOD only if "unwanted applications" is enabled .

The attachments I placed is really the default configuration for AMON which ESET offers so I think it will be of no problem to servers

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Whoever was surfing the web from a server and installing toolbars should be kept faaaaar away from ever getting near servers again.

Server admin should be observant enough to notice a toolbar on the server before an AV product could pick it up.

6. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

YeOldeStonecat,
    I do not have the training, or, the knowledge, but I'm slowly gaining some experience with "server." I suspect I may be far too paranoid to play in current IT, BUT, I do completely agree with your quote (above)! If for no other reason than the stuff I've seen since 1995 as a PC user on the WWW. Thank you for your direct candor.

HiTechBoy,
    No harm, no foul! I suppose this really speaks to just what you choose to allow your downstream clients to potentially deal with. I just do not know, as a noob Admin. To me, "full blanket" is a great start. Until I know that "it" is safe for everyone else, would I think about letting it loose on the lan.
    Best,
    Duncan

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

:D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.