Should potentially unwanted/unsafe be enabled on server?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by slyder, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slyder

slyder Registered Member

Hi,
    Should potentially unwanted/unsafe application scanning be enabled on servers?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

They can all be enabled if you want to . However if you use some tools that may be detected you will need to disable the detection for them .

I think this is OK for an average server ;)

Attached Files:

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I wouldn't...if this is a production server and you know it's clean from the start.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

For the "unsafe applications" I agree . However ESET clasifies some toolbars and related things as "unwanted applications" , not adware/riskware . I once found a nasty toolbar on a client's machine which ,I think, turned out to be classified not as an adware but was detected by NOD only if "unwanted applications" is enabled .

The attachments I placed is really the default configuration for AMON which ESET offers so I think it will be of no problem to servers

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Whoever was surfing the web from a server and installing toolbars should be kept faaaaar away from ever getting near servers again.

Server admin should be observant enough to notice a toolbar on the server before an AV product could pick it up.

6. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

YeOldeStonecat,
    I do not have the training, or, the knowledge, but I'm slowly gaining some experience with "server." I suspect I may be far too paranoid to play in current IT, BUT, I do completely agree with your quote (above)! If for no other reason than the stuff I've seen since 1995 as a PC user on the WWW. Thank you for your direct candor.

HiTechBoy,
    No harm, no foul! I suppose this really speaks to just what you choose to allow your downstream clients to potentially deal with. I just do not know, as a noob Admin. To me, "full blanket" is a great start. Until I know that "it" is safe for everyone else, would I think about letting it loose on the lan.
    Best,
    Duncan

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

:D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.