Should it stay or should it go? Advice on combining software

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Chamlin, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

I am choosing between the following security apps and would like your guidance. I just switched from NIS to NOD32 and Comodo Firewall. System is much faster.

1. Which of these should/can I get rid of, and which should I keep?
    Spywareblaster
    Ad-aware SE Personal
    Spybot
    Spysweeper

2. Which should be resident and running realtime? Is it a problem to have Spywareblaster and Spysweeper realtime running at the same time?

3. Would you get rid of Spysweeper for the free version of Superantispyware?

Thanks,
    Chamlin

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id get rid of adaware and spybot. theyre aging and losing their effectiveness.

if u paid for spy sweeper, ud better keep it. its a good antispyware even for just ondemand scans.
    i dont use spywareblaster but if u use IE frequently then u should keep it. it doesnt run realtime but it does have a small conflict with spy sweeper. the workaround can be read here.
    i would.

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi.
    I would keep Spyware Blaster for sure.Is SpySweeper paid for?If yes,I'd keep it also.
    Dump Spybot and AdAware.

No problem with Spyware Blaster and SpySweeper as Spyware Blaster doesn't run real-time.It only runs when you click on it to update and/or enable protections.SpySweeper should run real-time.

I would not replace SpySweeper with SUPERantispyware's free scanner.The free scanner would be a good replacement for Spybot and AdAware.
    I would want to keep a real-time antispyware program running.

4. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Definetly kill off Spybot, because it's only very marginally effective now. Ad-Aware is pretty much a toss up. It seems to have about 50% effectiveness now, which is not very good, and it's not realtime.

For a light realtime AS, try Spyware Terminator. Windows Defender is also realtime, but it IS microsoft, and seems to have some issues (and it's been in beta 2 since February, 6 months and counting).

If you did pay for SpySweeper, keep it for now, but you can always dump it when it expires. It's a waste of money to dump an AS paid app, even when it's bloated. I made a mistake when buying Spyware Doctor. Yes, it's a great app, but it's bloated and a resource hog. But I won't waste my money and remove it (or at least not until it's only days from expiring). Spyware Doctor offers a freeware version, sort of. It doesn't scan or remove, but the realtime protection is fully intact. I don't think it's a good idea to install though.

5. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Thanks guys.

1. I rarely use IE. Primarily use Firefox except when sites require IE for functionality. And I'll probably play with IE7 when its out, but doubt I'd use it much. Does Spywareblaster just overlap or complement Spy Sweeper?

2. Spy Sweeper is paid, and I just fixed it by updating to 5.07 --- which was only possible after they sent me a cleanup tool. For anyone with that challenge:
    http://support.webroot.com/ics/supp...74876e12ddcba1cff0b7&accountID=693&deptID=776

3. So it sounds like I can pretty much go with the following and be relatively well protected...

NOD32
    Comodo Firewall
    Spy Sweeper (which by the way got lighter on resources with 5.07)
    Spywareblaster (please see question 1)
    Super AntiSpyware (free for on demand scans)

Out: Spybot and Ad-Aware

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Exactly right combo.
    By the way my personal view is that if u surf safely and install wisely u can also put SpySweeper to on-demand only and it might make ur system more faster.
    I personally prefer a HIPS rather than an AS after an AV and firewall.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

complement

8. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

What ever you decide product wise my recommendation is not to waste money...take the advice offered and decide and then use these paid items until they expire. Then move on to the new and improved products based on your knowledge and advice given by others. But it is just a bad habit to buy a license and then throw it away.

Financial health is as important as a healthy machine. Most only have so many $$ to go around. Think about your puchases carefully before buying. Hope I have helped. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.