Should I use Raid 0 after I format(on a laptop)?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Oaty, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oaty

Oaty Registered Member

Helloo, Lately i have been getting black screens and a bubble in the bottom right hand corner of my screen saying a display driver stopped working and recovered, and i also got a BSOD when my usb driver failed, and my usb mouse which is wireless seems to cut in and out every now and then.

I bought my laptop recently and have contacted the tech support over these issues and they had me update to the latest drivers and i asked what would be next if the drivers dont work and they said a full reinstall.

So my laptop specs are(ASUS M70VM) Nick named "Portable Monster":
    Vista 32-Bit Ultimate
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9400 @ 2.53GHz (2 CPUs)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS (1779 MB)
    4GB RAM (3070MB RAM) overflow does into the Video Card
    1TB HDD (2x 500GB)
    BD Rom
    17" screen
    TV tuner Card

I couldn't find the MOBO info if you must know you can hunt it down yourself :p (Model of laptop ASUS M70vm).
    Currently the HDD's are running as separate partitions.

I'm looking into setting my HDD's up as a single HDD as raid 0(striping) so it shows up as 1TB instead of 2x 500GB.

Is it worth while on my laptop?
    What are the draw backs since the MoBo will be handling the raid setup and not an actual raid controller?

Consider this.... i will be backing my computer up to a separate external HDD so i don't care about running raid 1(mirror).... maybe this is also factoring in somewhere...

I dont have enough knowledge on this raid stuff so I've come here for help....

2. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

I don't see the point of RAID 0 using 5400 rpm drives.You will gain a bit of speed but you better do backups often.If either one of the drives goes bad you will lose all your data.

3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Yes. You will never look back.
    None
    If your chip is an intel, probably supports matrix storage raid. In this chase you can get both of the 2 worlds. I would give 800 mb for Raid 0 and the rest of RAID 1. They will appear as a 2 different hard disks.

Edit: Just checked on Intel and it does support matrix storage http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-029319.htm

Panagiotis

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeh give raid 0 a try. I have 2 x 200GB 7200rpm drives in raid 0 on my laptop and it gives a nice performance increase. Only downside is possible data loss due to hard drive failure so doing regular backups of important data is recommended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.