Should I use incremental or differential?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by paul7876, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul7876

paul7876 Registered Member

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I've been all over some posts and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
    I've just purchased TI 9 Home, and have created my first full backup.
    What I was wondering was what should I use now?
    I prefer differential from what I've seen, but as I do my backups manually should I be selecting the full or the last differential from the list?
    If I was to use incremental and select the full backup as the base each time, how would this differ from using differential?

Thanks for any advice,

Paul

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

See the Acronis replies in this thread.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=130156

The general rule is that a differential takes longer to do but is faster to restore than an incremental (you have to restore all the incrementals that were created.

I guess it depends on how much storage space you have etc, but I do all mine as a manual full. Be sure you automatically validate each backup when done. Note that when validating TI will validate the entire archive not just the last incremental or differential done.

3. paul7876

paul7876 Registered Member

Thanks for your reply, problem solved :)

4. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I ALWAYS use incrementals as that allows me to have access to more versions of a file.

I also ALWAYS do manual backups, never scheduled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.