Should I upgrade to PC-cillin 2004??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Rollinco, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollinco

Rollinco Registered Member

Is there an advantage for me to upgrade from the 2003 to 2004 version of PC-cillin?? I have a license for PC-cillin 2003 that doesn't run out until next year. Would there be a good reason to pay the upgrade fee for PC-cillin 2004??

2. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Rollinco, how much is the upgrade fee? i'm using the 2004 trial on my Windows ME system. well the good points are:

1. AV+Firewall+Antispam+Privacy with good integration.
    2. wonderful detection rates with spyware detection capability.
    3. highly configurable through the main program and PCCTOOL.EXE.
    4. light on the resources.
    5. provides outbreak alarm and includes the damage cleanup service.

but its not perfect. it doesn't have win32 heuristics though it has macro and script heuristics. sometimes it makes the 9x system unstable but not in XP. use the trial version in your system and try out yourself. if you find it nice then pay the money and get the upgrade key. you can unlock your trial version. no need to download a registered version.

3. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

www.av-comparatives.org click comparatives, review Feb and May results.

Performance definitely doesn't fall under the outstanding category.

I also believe the trial is crippled and you can't update (or at least it was last time I gave it a shot).

4. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear tazdevl, this is not the end of the world. TMIS has many famous certificates. of course its definately not in the same catagory as KAV 5 but it is decent and if you follow AC's site you'll see that only the good single engine AVs made it to the tests. so TMIS really isn't a bad choice since you're getting a decent AV+Firewall+Antispam+Antispyware+Privacy-Protector for a small upgrade fee. the trial is not crippled in anyway except the time limit and update limit. the trial version is updatable once during its trial period.

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Is the trial still 30 days? I sure wouldn't want to be able to update the pattern files only ONCE in 30 days! That is crippleware and I say shame on Trend.
    Even if the trial has been changed to only 15 days, one update of the pattern files is not sufficient.

When I wanted to trial PCC 2003, I could not because it was crippleware. I had to find someone who had bought a lot licenses just to give to users so they could properly trial it. At least Trend is making some effort in the right direction, if they now allow one update of the pattern files during the trial, but that is not enough to be safe unless you trial it just for a day or two and you cannot tell that quickly if there is going to be any important conflicts with your applications, etc. that would preclude your purchasing PCC. (Didn't Trend Micro put the name back to PC-Cillin)? I heard they did because the suite fell on its face.

6. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Mele20, let me re-phrase myself. the software is updatable once from the software itself but you can manually update it as long as you want. yes of course within the trial period. just download the pattern file and paste it to TMIS folder. same goes true for engine upgrade and system cleaner.

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thank you for explaining that. I'm glad to know you can manually get the pattern files during a trial. I don't think that was the case back when I had PCC...at least that is what everyone said over at DSLReports. So, I'm glad to see that Trend has paid attention to the criticism and made the trial worthwhile. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.