Should I uninstall TI9 Home before installing update ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by boblite, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boblite

boblite Registered Member

Should I uninstall TI9 Home before installing the update ? Or do I just install the update over the original ?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello boblite,

Despite the advice given in the User's Guide and the Acronis True Image Online FAQ, installing over a previous version or build often results in problems. Best therefore to uninstall your current installation before installing an upgrade or update (during the fresh install you will be asked to enter your latest Serial Number followed by the previous one).

Regards

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I've always done it over the original. A reboot is requested to complete the install. I've never had an issue.

Blue

4. BlueZannetti

I do agree, this is the more conservative approach if you're concerned about it.

Blue

5. MaverickOP

MaverickOP Registered Member

"Done it over the original" - what fantastic grammar.

By that are you saying you installed the new version on top of the old version? i.e. dirty install?

To Boblite: As a general rule of thumb, if you are ever in doubt, always remove the old version before installing the new one. Personally, I've always uninstall first when it comes to upgrading Acronis True Image products.

6. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

boblite;
    After you follow this forum for a while you will find that Menorcaman
    is the "man"

7. BlueZannetti

Ummm...., whatever.
    Yes, I've installed a new version - major or minor upgrade - on top of the currently installed version. Precisely what is a "dirty install" by the way?
    The only times I've seen issues that have required this is when the intrinsic stability of the system was in question, which can arise from a number of factors. I do agree with your general rule of thumb. The only downside (as a general matter) is loss of configuration information which, in this particular instance, is not a relevant concern.

Cheers,

Blue

8. MaverickOP

Commonly referred to in the tech industry for situations where you install a new version of a software on top of the existing one w/out first uninstalling the previous software installation. The term more or less originated from techies saying they did a "clean install" of such & such software and it was easy way of distinguishing between the two methods.

9. BlueZannetti

I assumed as much, although it does have a connotation that not entirely appropriate in many circumstances, techie lore notwithstanding.

Blue

10. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

"Personally, I've always uninstall first when it comes to upgrading Acronis True Image products." - What fantastic grammar.

John

11. BlueZannetti

To all...

Let's keep the discussion on target. Nuanced use of language is certainly encouraged, but not a requirement in a site with multinational participation. Communication of the desired message is the key goal, and we've all accomplished that objective thus far.

Blue

12. AlaninKY

AlaninKY Registered Member

"Done it over the original" is good enough as it does get to the point.

I uninstall before installing any updates.

13. MaverickOP

Close as hand grenades. It amazes me how so many Americans where English is their first language use it so carelessly.

Gotta love those Kiwis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.