Should I try?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by subratam, Mar 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Hi all,
    I need a good, effective and most importantly spyware-free download accelerator. Should I go for DAP 7 the new release or any other nice anyone can suggest. :)
    if possible can you please tell something about your suggested software and the link for downloading

thank you

2. shunned

shunned Guest

Sub
    Have used this one briefly an it worked well. But remember to disable the check for update feature or register feature..(can't remember which it was)

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download782.html

sorry am not good at explaing the "whys" about programs. This one works LOL

say,,isn't Dap spyware??

3. Tuulilapsi

Tuulilapsi Registered Member

I used Stardownloader from www.stardownloader.com for a long time, and liked it. There's still a freeware version, though I haven't used it, but its predecessor at least was more than adequate for my needs. :)

4. subratam

downloading Filehound(thats what you suggested) , will surely give it a try. and spyware DAP, I know.I heard that too... thats why more comments are what I am waiting for

thank you :)

5. Shunned

Shunned Guest

TIP:

if ever you use the "GOODNIGHT" feature in filehound (which shuts down the computer after the download is complete)...an you wake up an re-start your computer only to have it shut down immediately....just re-start in Safe Mode..open filehound..an dis-able the GOODNIGHT feature....re-boot to work fine.
    Happened to me only once on a winME

6. subratam

shunned thanks,
    will remember that... will try some downloads now, lets see how it does
    Tuulilapsi,
    will surely try yours too :)

7. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Give it a whirl......oh, your download will be found in C:/program file/filehound/download unless you set it otherwise
    an don't forget to use "GOFAST"

8. Shunned

Shunned Guest

If you get bored or have to leave during a download.....just hit STOP TRANSFER....an when you return filehound will pick up where it left off....without lossing what was already download....like 1 mb of 50mb....just hit Start Transfer an it picks right back up

9. subratam

Shunned,
    you are really giving a nice tutorial for me . I will keep all these infos, as it will serve better than help feature of Filehound.
    Nice to kno from one who already have used it

thanks a million

10. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

You could also try DownloadExpress by MetaProducts. It's free on both counts: $$$ and spyware.

11. Shunned

Shunned Guest

SUB

You are most welcome. Sorry but I will be leaving the forum not. Looks like one of the members is trying to intigate a problem an I am not into such childish stuff.
    But hey, you guys have been just great. Enjoyed the few days spent with you.

12. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

In case of problems - we'd like to sort them out first and foremost. Feel free to drop me a PM in this context.

regards.

paul

13. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Another vote here for Stardownlaoder. Perhaps the other one mentioned is better but we have not tried it. Stardownloader can download many, many threads at the same time - even up to 20 and perhaps more.

Best wishes

14. Mullyman

Mullyman Registered Member

This one i have tried....and worked great with no problems at all :cool:

http://www.freshdevices.com/freshdown.html

15. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I tried fresh Devices Sub, wasn't impressed and hard to get rid of.

That Bike looks very much like my Triumph 'Trophy' TR6 Mullyman.......now that was some bike.

Cochise, :cool:

16. subratam

perhaps I will try stardownloader pretty soon getting two votes already.
    regarding fresh devices.. if i get a opinion, hard to get rid off, I am going to think twice then.
    anyways lets have some more if there are any.
    to Shunned
    Please drop in a PM to Paul. He will surely sort everything ok mate. Why will you leave for someone else? Be here and its nice to have your company

keep posting

17. Mullyman

Well to each there own :D...i just unistalled with no problems what so ever after cochise"s post just to satisfy my curiosity as i never tried to remove it before...and reinstalled it again...Fresh Devices is actually the company name...the utility name is Fresh Download..here are a few reviews by Web Attack...i still stand by my recommondation :cool:

http://www.webattack.com/opinions/for_freshdownload.html

18. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I personally had good luck with stardownloader. It is very easy to use and to have your av scan downloads.

19. Shunned

Shunned Guest

SUB

Just dropped back in long enough to see how this worked out for you. You had alot of nice selections from others. Its nice seeing people share their exeriences.
    Say don't forget DLEXPERT...?wilders freetools)
    An its also very nice of you to invite me to stay around. Thank You Very Much!
    Like yourself I enjoy sharing with others...I don't claim to know all the answers nor to being an expert...I just enjoy sharing.
    Well time to go again...you do take care.

20. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi again Sub,

I was only expressing my own personal opinion of Fresh Devices mate....like they say....everyone to his own....but because I tried it once, Fresh Devices spam me at least twice a week trying to flog me one of their products!!!! How Nice!.....I asked them not to do this but it made no difference.

You might also look at Jooske's thread with regard to her fun and games she's having with FD.

Cochise, :cool:

21. Mullyman

Well after reading Cochise"s last post i went and reviewed Jooske"s thread...and now i am in complete agreement with Cochise...don"t use Fresh Download although i have never had a problem with it why wait untill i do...i am uninstalling my version and going to give stardownloader a try...thanks for your very informative opinion Cochise very much acknowledged :cool:

22. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Not to labour the point Mullyman mate but after uninstalling Fresh, have you had a look in all the nooks and crannies and all the dark corners of your Registry etc.,?.......I would be quite willing to bet it's left a little trail somewhere.....it did on mine until I routed it out. :D

With my limited knowledge of Compys I wouldn't dream of offering Jooske advice because I can only go on my own experience but from what I read she appears to be trying to keep some Fresh stuff whilst trying to get rid of some. For my part I would kick the whole damn lot into touch and go from there. By the way, jv16 worked wonders for me in winkling it out, I think once you get Fresh whatever in your system it breeds. :eek: :D :D

Cheers, Cochise, :cool:

PS. And I still think that bike of yours looks alot like my 'Troph' I had in 1966. :rolleyes:

23. Mullyman

Thanks for the advice Cochise...cleaned everything thoroughly...no traces left :D

p.s....as a side note...never had the pleasure to own a Triumph...my first scoot in 1965 was a Norton Atlas 750...then it"s been Harleys ever since :cool:

24. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi guys, in the meantime uninstalled the whole unfresh devices stuff and read some terrible reviews and other people's bad experiences. Hoped to be able to repair some parts but it didn't and there are other tools for it.
    I fell for the UI and Diagnose thing, but no never again!

No need in holding back to advice me, as in fact you're seen the thread, and you have the experience with cleansing out your system after uninstalling, so i am interested to know where to look more in the registry (i am the careful kind using the + and - signs and read carefully if anything might be related to something i recognise if not i leave it in it's place.

I started uninstalling freshView and deleted several hundreds FView associations to files; i did see them to all kinds of file extensions but did not really see it to the exe or lnk or folders, which three i have problems with (the functions are ok, it is just the rightclick menu on those three not opening)
    so it seems those three are hidden somehow/somewhere else.
    After the FreshView i tried to look for more parts and finally uninstalled all the other parts as i did not see any real use for those Diagnose and UI as what i tried to fix with those didn't really work, and i hoped with uninstalling the FreshDownload and trying to look through the registry to get all back functioning, but not yet, unfortunately.
    So there might be more assiciations on the registry or other things i might be overlooking.
    Even the entry in the startmenu was not deleted with uninstalling all that garbadge.

Can just give a big thumbs down for anybody asking advice if trying this stuff is ok, don't please keep far from it!
    I'm the most sorry for a person whom i adviced it when not knowing better, but i did send her/him in the meantime a burning apology and advice too to keep far from it.
    It should belong on every blocklist, never ever go there anymore!
    So a few files you might remember from your own installs i think posting them would help others too, so thanks if you remember!

25. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I would love to think I could assist you in some way Jooske but to be quite honest I was lucky enough to only get involved with their Downloader which kind of set bells ringing almost straight away and I immediately dumped it. I thought at the time that that was it but no, I kept coming across it all over the place, I found jv16 a big help by clicking on every programme in my registry one at a time and then Details and I found it had attached itself to nearly everything, with my very limited knowledge, I finally managed to snuff the the life out of it.

You have obviously had to dig far far deeper than me to the point were you lost me completely in the technical stuff :D Consequently, as I said previously, I didn't really feel in a position to offer you any kind of a solution.

My frustrations at the time where nothing compared to what you must be going through.

I hope some White Knight comes galloping up to rescue you from this problem soon so that you can get back to normal again.

My Very best Regards, Cochise, :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.