Should I run RVS with another AV?

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Uli9000, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uli9000

Uli9000 Registered Member

I was recently advised at majorgeeks to stop running RVS2010 and Avast Home together as they are both AV's.

I am happy to run RVS solely if that is required but wondered what official advice was on this subject?

Thanks

Uli

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I'll provide my advice, which is strictly personal...
    • Aside from the issues noted with MSE, I haven't seen realtime conflicts, but that experience only extends to a couple of AV's. Right now, I have a pair of systems using RVS 2010 only, and one which has KAV 2010 installed as well. I really haven't noticed any performance or other issues/differences among the three installations.
    • If a standalone AV is installed with RVS 2010, my general recommendation is to disable realtime coverage of any and all installed AV (including that in RVS 2010) if an install/uninstall of either the standalone AV or RVS 2010 is performed. I've seen minor to significant install/uninstall conflicts arise. All have been very easily addressed, but it seems prudent practice to minimize the likelihood of problems. In fact, I often disable AV protection with many product installs.
    • Obviously, multiple AV's can cause conflict and priority contention issues. The most cautious approach is to select one platform and go with it. That would typically mean use only the embedded F-Prot AV in RVS 2010 or your desired standalone product for realtime coverage. If you like Avast Home, simply disable the realtime protection within RVS.
    Blue

3. Uli9000

Uli9000 Registered Member

Thanks Blue.

Uli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.