Should I reinstall my I.E. ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SonyaM32, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

I am currently using mozilla firefox, which I do like better. But, I am having some problems with some of my other forums I visit. So what I want to do is use my I.E. only for the forum visits. I want to use firefox for all else. The problem I am having is there are too many pop ups on my IE . No matter what I do, or what kind of tools I use to stop them. I have another thread somewhere here about the popup problem. What do you think about if I totally uninstall and delete my IE, and then re download and install it ? Does anyone else think that may help with my popup problem ?

2. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I don't know how (or if!) you can uninstall IE.......But there is a little extension that you can add into FF which allows you to open a link in IE..
    http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#ieview
    PS. you should not have popups in IE if you are on SP2.
    Cheers,
    Buck.

Attached Files:

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I deleted IE completely once, all it took to make the comp work again was a full reformat and OS install :D ;)

bigc

4. SonyaM32

OMG Then I will not try to uninstall it . Spanner, I already have every bit of that. And I still have trwemendous problems, like every 3 minutes with popups on the IE. At first when I cleared out the privacy in internet options, I thought that was going to work, but it did not. And all of my ( what all you mentioned above ) is always running.

5. SonyaM32

Spanner plz explain active x and active scripting. I already did all but I do not know what you mean with those two, thanx
    Bigbuck, I do have sp2.

6. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Sonya,
    I know we went through this on the other thread, but would you check this again....note the setting at the bottom.

Attached Files:

7. SonyaM32

OK I am going to go do that, but should I disable java ? PLZ be more specific, for I don't know hardly a thing about this stuff, and thank you for your help.

8. SonyaM32

Bigbuck, I have mine set on high block. And everytime I look in the allow box there is always new ones there. I just remove them, then they just eventually come back

9. greyfox

greyfox Registered Member

I find the Google toolbar has a great popup stopper and I use IE all the time.

10. SonyaM32

OK, I did that, now I have a box that pops up before everything and asks me if I want to allow scripts to run. LOL :D

11. SonyaM32

Thanx so much spanner, that helps me alot. Cause I was lost for a sec. LOL
    Peace Sonya

12. SonyaM32

OK, I Will , HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU, AND EVERYONE HERE !!!!! :cool:

13. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Hi Sonya,
    I don't know if you are getting regular advertising popups or spyware popups but I tend to think you are getting the latter. If you haven't already, download this free tool.

CWShredder
    http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe

Update Adaware and Spybot. Restart in safe mode (hold F8 while rebooting) and scan with CWShredder, Adaware and Spybot. If this doesn't help, follow these rules:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=50662
    or
    post a Hijackthis! log at an appopriate website.

14. SonyaM32

Thanx Ailric. I dont know which either spyware, or advertising. I accidentally allowed a popup, when I had stopzilla and they never went away. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.