Should I go with Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail?

Discussion in 'polls' started by gracie123, Apr 18, 2008.

?

Which email is better?

1. Gmail

70 vote(s)
    64.8%
  2. Yahoo

23 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. Hotmail

15 vote(s)
    13.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

I've used Hotmail for a long time now but since they came out with Windows Live Mail, it takes forever to load. I am wondering if going to Yahoo email or Gmail would be a better choice?

I think I like Gmail best but I'd like to see what others say :)

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm very happy with Gmail. It works all the time, their spam filter is one of the best, and they even notify you when an e-mail is suspicious (I have my own defenses anyway). Ever since I'm with Gmail I stopped using Outlook. Some people complain about the privacy issue, and ads being added: IMO a small sacrifice for a great service.

3. gracie123

Osaban,

Do you know of a program that I can download that will alert me of new email in my Gmail account?

4. Boost

Boost Registered Member

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I vote YM.

GM privacy concerns & forever email retention are a deal breaker.

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Of the three you mentioned gmail by far has the best spam filters.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

One can activate Gmail notifier with Gmail and choose which browser to go with.

I think it is really not ready to go with Vista, as it was working erratically when I activated it. I'll give it a try as a Firefox extension, thanks.

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Another vote for Gmail here. The interface is fairly clean and the spam filter is one of the best.

9. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Seconded, I applied for registration somewhere, and now I get 1000 spams a week, however gmail blocks 99.9% off them into the spam filter, including the ones that adress me personally. (I don't read private policies you see)
    You can also see that Gmail records contacts automatically, and the memory increases by the second.
    Its spam filter is surprisingly good, since the AV companies also adress me personally, and that does not get on the spam filter, and other websites I subscribe to, even if they do have some ads. But the ones where they adress me personally when I didn't subsribe to them (probably a breach. :( ) get in the spam filter.
    Good huh! A vote for Gmail

10. gracie123

I thank everyone who has replied to my question and it seems like Gmail is the best choice.... although I have done some research and alot of people have said their account was deleted by Google. For this reason and for Gmail still being in beta, should I still go with Gmail?

11. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I've used gmail for a looooong time now,no problems.

Try it out,see if you like it. If not,try somethin else! It's free,nothing to lose!

12. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I have never used any of them. I wouldn't know which to choose. Do people use them simply because they are free or is there some other significant benefit ?

13. Boost

Boost Registered Member

http://www.google.com/mail/help/why_gmail.html

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

The vote results say it all.

15. Long View

Thanks - I may give Gmail a go but I'm somewhat skeptical about "Just type a few keywords into the search box" when I do this sort of thing with my work I get thousands of responses.

16. tisungho

tisungho Registered Member

I'm using three of them :D
    I use Yahoo because it's very popular in my country. I use it to stay in touch my my friends and family.
    I use Hotmail to communicate with my friends from other countries since they almost use hotmail.
    I use Gmail for important cases.

17. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Lies!

I have had my account for longer than a year without use.
    I just logged in a couple of seconds before this post to see if its there and woohoo its still there! But with 1202 emails in the spam folder :D. Can you guess why i don't use gmail anymore :D.

They probably got their account deleted due to storing files on it.

18. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I voted for Gmail since thunderbird Is not there.

19. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Isn't this where you want spam to be (i.e., isn't this indicative of a good spam filter)? If the spam was in your inbox, I could see why you'd be upset and not use gmail.

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

What difference does it make, all those free internet mail programs give away spam bandwidth like theres no tomorrow, i thought Gmail would lighten the load but they allow garbage in like Yahoo but at least Yahoo lets you send them directly to the trash whereas Google you have manually can the crapola mail. But thats the price for free internet mail right?

21. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'll give you at least one reason for using Gmail(I don't know anything about the others): I've had an e-mail address which I always used with Outlook, and I was getting an average of 20-30 spam messages daily.

I really wanted to change my e-mail address only to get rid of the spam, but never really did it because I have too many important contacts with the old e-mail.

Gmail gives the possibility to import all your messages in real time from your old mail server to Gmail, where they are scanned for spam and viruses. Hopefully in a year time, I might just delete my old e-mail account (will love doing it) satisfied the all my contacts have my new e-mail address.

Another reason is opening e-mails in a sandbox is very safe, and they are never stored in your computer

22. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You must be kidding , right ?!

GMail misses one SPAM message per month for my two emails . I get about 30 - 50 SPAMS daily , all filtered and coming to my SPAM folder instead of my Inbox. I have used Yahoo and Hotmail (now Live) and they miss much more.

GMail filters on server level and doesn't deliver the SPAM mail to POP3/IMAP users' inboxes .

I am sure all GMail users can confirm how smart their anti-spam / antivirus filtering is.

I am very happy Google services customer , will never change GMail , even if I get paid to use another mail service .

23. Boost

Boost Registered Member

You obviously dont use gmail because if you did,you'd know hardly any spam is allowed into the inbox, but to each their own I guess....

24. Long View

I never give out my real e-mail address to anyone I can not trust. Most of the time I use disposable aliases - see below:

Create up to 100 disposable aliases that can be used to send and receive email through your account. Email to these aliases will be directed to your account where it can be filtered. Why use aliases?

* Protect the identity of your primary email address when surfing the Web.
    * Stop spam by handing out email addresses other than your primary. If you start receiving spam to an alias, you can simply delete the alias or use a filter to redirect the mail.

25. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.