Should I do a Restore on My Computer or How Can I Fix This Problem?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sooflymami, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

I'm having files problems..keeps saying the name already exists unless I hit cancel button and re-open the folder again..Whenever I go to picture editing sites/programs (and in any websites and any programs)and after I finish editing and right click and click "Save images", I click on my original picture and then deleted it and I tried to save the edited picture the same name file as that one that was just deleted (original ones inside the recycle bin now). This is also happening on paint program and other picture editing stuff. (Might be happening for files in general). This started happening recently on my Windows 7 laptop. On the Windows XP computer is fine. But not on the Windows 7 computer. I don't know if a malware or what is causing this. Could it be a virus/malware? what should I do? After I exit out of the picture folder thing, and then re-open it, it works but it doesn't work unless if I re-open it.
    Should I go back to the date before going to the site I visited that I know for sure my computer was clean? The file that Malwarebytes detected was C:\Users\Nene\AppData\Local\temp\.exe (Trojan.Agent). I don't know if this is happening because I deleted that file.
    Should I do a restore and go back to the date before I visted the website? I think this is happening for any files in general (probably). When going into the folder and after deleting, i name it to the same file name that i deleted but it says it already exists..unless i exit out of the folder and reopen it & do it that way. Someone please help, I'm very worried.

Also, how do you do a restore in order to rewind it to the date and time when I know for sure it was clean? would doing restore affect anything in bad way? I'm worried if it would slow down my computer or affect my automatic Windows Updates or any parts of my webcam. These files problem was not happening before and noticed this after visiting website that I did not know about.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

run chkdsk and check drive for errors. also review event viewer logs for errors or warnings

3. sooflymami

How do I do check drive and event viewer logs ? And do you know how I can do the automatic chk dsk so I don't have to keep pressing the keyboard buttons? I forgot how to do that process.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  4. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Try start > computer > right click C drive > properties > tools > error checking,
    I am not sure if this will help, if you are still infected.
    Personally I would either go to a proper malware removal forum, or back up all data and restore the pc to factory settings

5. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Will system restore work to fix this, restoring it to before it happened?

6. philby

philby Registered Member

Might do - I've had success with this a number of times when an infection seemed bad, but obviously wasn't bad enough to have crippled SR.

7. sooflymami

The thing is we're not exactly 100% sure if the malware or virus is causing this..but would it still be safe to do a system restore and rewind it to the date when everything was working fine? It shouldn't affect my computer, webcam or anything in bad way?

8. cheater87

What would the check disk do exactly in the situation we have? Also I hear people saying use one and not the other. Should we do a check disk and if everything is OK THEN do a system restore? What should we do if the check disk isn't OK? What would it ask her and what should she click on? Also why do we have to do the check disk?

9. sooflymami

It said this name of file already exists are u sure u want to replace it? After deleting that other file that has same name & it won't save it unless I exit out of that folder & re open it..if I exit it out 1st AFTER deleting it THEN it works but unless doing that, it wont let me..it used to work but this problem happened all the sudden. Would system restore fix it and wouldn't affect my webcam, auto win updates etc.? Should I do that instead of chkdsk? I'm very confused and very worried.

10. mick92z

It should be ok. The only negative thing that ever happened to me , when using S.R was, it turned Avira premium into a trial version, even though I never had the trial version, A system restore can be undone too.
    I would, if you haven't already, back up your data, this is always a good idea.

11. sooflymami

I am using the Avast free version..should I be ok? And also how do you undo system restore?

12. mick92z

Under normal circumstances I would say definitely. I have had S.R fail, and thats it, everything stayed the same, no damage. If you are infected, then S.R might not be able to work, it may have been turned off, or all restore points deleted.
    You won't know till you try. I definitely would give it a go.
    If you are so worried, I would perhaps try a proper malware removal forum, although they can be painfully slow.
    Your detection C:\Users\Nene\AppData\Local\temp\.exe, was that the only one ?
    Here are links on S.R and how to undo http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows7/products/features/system-restore
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows7/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions

13. sooflymami

I did a full scan on both Avast and Malwarebytes and that file was the only file that was detected and I deleted it.

14. cheater87

What should be done if system restore points are deleted by the trojan?

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

One sure way to fix almost any problem is to wipe the disk clean and do a complete reinstall of the OS. It takes some time to do all the updates and reinstall apps, but that's about the only way you can be 100% sure that you're clean and ok. If nothing else, it's a last resort solution....

16. cheater87

Shes worried that the malware might have affected the automatic windows update shield on the tray. Do you think she should be alright? Shes worried if the auto windows update shield won't appear anymore after restoring her computer to a previous state. Shes going to see if she can use a restore point made by a windows update and that is why she is worried. We think its a minor issue since this is only happening for file names.

17. sooflymami

Actually, I found out this is also happening to one of my friend's computer. Her computer and mine, when we save pictures after editing or saving a picture for example, and we select"save images" and when the picture folder pops up, we right click- "delete photo" and then name it as the one that was just deleted a second ago and then clicked "save images". then it asked "Are you sure you want to replace it to ____.jpg? and i clicked "yes" and then it worked. This message never appeared in the past when doing the same exact process but I found out I'm not the only person who had this message appear. Do you think this is something normal?

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

In my experience, you edit a picture that you have previously saved to your computer, then click Save As. When you click OK to save the edited picture, you get the message "this picture already exists, do you want to replace it?" You click Yes and it deletes the original picture and replaces it with the edited one.

19. sooflymami

The thing is that I already deleted that other pic with the same name a second ago and then did that process while I still have the pic folder opened after deleting

20. mick92z

I'm not sure what you are trying to do ( sorry )
    If i have a picture on my desktop,i right click and choose edit, paint opens, I edit the picture, i then delete the original, and then choose save as, I get no message, and the edited picture is saved to the desktop.
    If I did not want to keep the original, I would just choose save not save asThe edited photo then replaces the original, with no message
    I would only choose save as, if I wanted to keep the unedited original, which would mean renaming the edited picture.:D Thus keeping both

21. cheater87

Figured it out it was because the old picture was in the recycling bin and still had the same name as the picture that was being saved. Soofly says that she doesn't think this message appeared earlier, she thinks it changed since last time, do you think you could explain about what happened?

22. mick92z

Thats not the case with me. Only if I try to restore from the bin do i get a message,' move and replace' -'dont move' -'move but keep both files'

Maybe she is mistaken, she said " Actually, I found out this is also happening to one of my friend's computer."

23. sooflymami

I went to my friends house a couple days ago and saw that it does the same thing for her when she did the same exact process. this message did not appear in the past before in my computer but this started happening recently for me..do you know why it started happening on windows 7?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.