Should I allow this program?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by mrfargoreed, Jun 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

I'm using a program called WorkPace Pro that helps repetitive strain injury. Although the program does not ask for internet access, I get warnings from my firewall:

C:\Program Files\WorkPace, etc has loaded rec300.dll into (firefox, etc) using a global hook which could be used by keyloggers

I know some programs need global hooks to run, and this program is designed to monitor my activities to help with the repetitive strain, but should I trust it? Having searched on Google I can find nothing malicious about the program and nothing is picked up by Ewido or NOD32.

Any advice here would help as the program is extremely useful to me and I don't want to have to remove it from my system.

Many thanks

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Re: Should I allow this prgram?

Hi,
    I did install this program for someone,..
    I never came across anything suspicious, it installed a global windows hook (winutils.dll), but this is/was expected for a monitoring software.
    I did do some searches on the program and the dll`s used, but all appeared to be o.k.
    The program has never made any attempt to connect to the internet, and I do check the users firewall logs, and that has never made me re-look at this program.
    rec300.dll was not loaded into firefox, maybe different setup?

3. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Thanks for your informative answer Stem.

I'm not quite sure about rec300.dll still, so will try to delete it (making a copy first, naturally) and seeing if the program runs without it.

Otherwise it seems ok to allow this prog ro tun in the background ok.

Thanks mate! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.