Should ext USB hdd be cnnectd during bootup of frzn snpsht if fzn archve on ext hdd?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Horus37, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

If your archive for frozen snapshots is on the ext usb hard drive and you boot up a frozen snapshot does the external hdd have to be on and connected to the usb port? Is it reading the info from the ext USB hdd to build the rebuild the frzn snapshot to pristine state? I tried booting up a frozen snapshot without the extnl hdd on or hooked up to the USB port and I noticed that my ICONS in my lower toolbar have changed order compared to when it was originally frozen. I though it was supposed to revert all back to original? I guess that means it needs to look at the ext usb hdd for info to rebuild to original?

o_O

EDIT Problem solved by making sure my EXT usb hdd was hooked up when booting up a frozen snapshot.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  2. Horus37

OK yet ANOTHER PROBLEM or maybe not. I'm not sure but if I set up an external arhived frozen snapshot why does it get updated if I DON"T manually select to update it? It seems that if I reboot with the external hdd connected then the frozen snapshot gets read and rebuilt from this external source. If I boot up a frozen snapshot without the ext hdd then it goes back to a semi pristine state. I verify this with the fragmentation found on the analysis button of the defrag option on xphome. This frozen snapshot on the host drive gets fragmented and the external frozen archive snapshot gets updated without my permission. You have got to be kidding me. I installed a printer driver onto my computer while in a frozen state just to see if it would erase it during reboot into the frozen snapshot. NOPE! Here I am in my frozen snapshot and I see the printer Icon in my taskbar when it clearly shouldn't be there as I had no printer driver in this frozen snapshot to begin with. ARGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First the MBR now this ........o_O What good is this if it doesn't revert back to it's frozen state? Why can't we choose to not have the external frzen snapshot not get updated if we don't want it too. I was assuming that the reason why we send the frzn snapshot archive off to an external drive as to save space and speed up the boot process? I don't want the ext frzn archive snapshot to keep getting updated without my permission. Is the solution to unhook the external hdd before powering down? I also wonder if I should have frozen my snapshot originally WITH the INCLUSION of the ext hdd already hooked up. Do you think that could have something to do with it?

EDIT...Ok problem solved as the problem was I didn't have the EXT USB hdd hooked up when I booted up with a frozen snapshot.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Re: Should ext USB hdd be cnnectd during bootup of frzn snpsht if fzn archve on ext

Horus37,

Concerning the external harddisk and frozen snapshot, I don't have any experience, because I only use my external harddisk when I boot in my Off-line snapshot.
    I like to use my external harddisk when my computer isn't connected to the internet.
    So I always backup/restore in my off-line snapshot.

My second snapshot is an on-line snapshot and that snapshot is FROZEN.
    I use that frozen snapshot several months already and I'm NOT happy with it, because it doesn't act like I expected, but I can't really nail the problem and I have no time to figure it out. After all I like to have fun with my computer and I'm not paid to solve someone else's problems (Leapfrog/Raxco).

The "Freeze" is supposed to work like an UPDATE of the "Freeze Storage".
    So each time when you freeze and you can do this at anytime, the "Freeze Storage" is updated and should be equal to your actual frozen snapshot.
    In practice however it doesn't work that way, at least not completely and another member noticed this also.

Although your problem has nothing to do with re-freezing, I'm not surprised by it and you are VERY RIGHT about the driver of your printer.
    The driver should have been removed during the reboot, because a frozen snapshot does NOT allow ANY change (good or bad).
    During the reboot FDISR does an automatic invisible copy/update from the "Freeze Storage.arx" to the frozen snapshot and that happens when you see the "Welcome"-screen of Windows.
    That's why the "Welcome"-screen is displayed longer during the reboot than usual.
    The "Freeze Storage.arx" is nothing but an archived snapshot, which has the same extension ".arx".

There is definitely something wrong with this frozen snapshot.
    Each time I authorize an access to internet with Look'n'Stop, followed by a re-freeze, I have to do it again after reboot, which means that the authorization wasn't stored in the "Freeze Storage.arx".
    I'm very happy with my off-line snapshot, but my frozen on-line snapshot doesn't work properly.

What happened to your printer driver is even more scaring, because that means that going back to a previous state doesn't work either and that makes a frozen snapshot worthless.

EDIT :
    The only reason I can think of why your printer driver was accepted is that the driver was stored in an anchored area. Anchored folders/files are not protected by a frozen snapshot. So any change there is accepted.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Re: Should ext USB hdd be cnnectd during bootup of frzn snpsht if fzn archve on ext

YS, th frzn archv nds t b avaibl at boottime.

5. Horus37

Well I'm not going to wander into the anchored folders area as I think I'll need a better defragger If I get into that. Just a guess. But I'm just feeling out all the pecidillos of this product and the printer driver sure did startled me. To me it seemed like it did this on it's own on bootup and autoupdated the frozen external usb snapshot without my permission by doing a freeze unfreeze. But this happened because I didn't have the ext USB hdd hooked up on boot up. It gets confusing what is going on. But it has to be something I did wrong. So far it's behaving now. I was just not ready for the idea I guess that it updates itself but I understand it now and all seems to be well. Now that I think I've got a handle on this and I've downloaded more programs into the unfrozen snapshot and froze it back and watched the boot up process with the ext usb attatched it seems to be ok. I think the problem occured when I didn't have the USB ext HDD hooked up when I booted up and that is where the frozen storage is that the program needs to look at when reverting changes back to the host frozen snapshot and the printer driver was still there. My bad. I feel better now. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.