Should ESET have quarantined this file when scanning?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by harryz, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harryz

harryz Registered Member

Hello,

I'm running ESET SSS V4.0.467.0 with the latest virus signature database on a Win XP Home system with all Microsoft patches installed. I'm using a USB adaptor to attach a hard disk to this machine that I removed from another machine. I did this because this hard disk seemed to be infected or damaged and I was not sure which and I wanted to scan it with ESET and Malwarebytes.

Once I attached the hard drive, I opened Explorer and right clicked on the drive letter, and selected 'Scan with ESET Smart Security'. The scan identified the following object as infected:

E:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\file\omfg.class-2dfb3e1f-510a6d60.class - Java/TrojanDownloader.OpenStream.NAC trojan

This is all well and good, but ESET did not take any action to quarantine / delete this file or to ask me what I wanted to do about it. Is this the expected behavior? I can't find any settings within ESET SSS that would seem to apply.

FWIW, the file was deleted / quarantined by ESET SSS while running Malwarebytes against this same disk:

10/1/2010 11:57:31 PM Real-time file system protection file E:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\file\omfg.class-2dfb3e1f-510a6d60.class Java/TrojanDownloader.OpenStream.NAC trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
    <machine name \ owner name> Event occurred during an attempt to run the file by the application: C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe.

Mahalo!

Harry Z

2. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Have you tried this?

3. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

4. toxinon12345

"Scan with ESET <security product>" option is intended for diagnostic purposes. :thumb:
    If you want to perform a Cleaning action, choose the "Clean files" option in the "Advanced options" context menu :cool:

5. harryz

harryz Registered Member

Aloha Woodgiant and Toxinon12345

Mahalo (thank you) both for your responses. Toxinon, you nailed it with the Advanced Option information. It's right there on the context menu, but I never thought to look at it. I just assumed that a Scan would take action when it found an infection.

Best regards,

Harry Z

6. toxinon12345

"Clean files" option allows you to perform a scan task and at the same time take action on the threats found

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.