Should Blue Ridge Networks or Webroot acquire Shadow Defender?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

No. Webroot hasn't produced anything noteworthy in my opinion. Same goes for Blue Ridge Networks as well. Also, no company (Blue Ridge Networks) that creates a .NET-based security product is worthy and most likely competent enough to handle Shadow Defender's code. Period.

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Webroot has not produced anything noteworthy? What do you think about WSA? I would say its the best pure cloud AV available. Unless you are giving Prevx all the credit instead of Webroot. Regardless I have to give Webroot some credit for Letting the Prevx team continue to work their magic, and not destroy a great product.

Blue Ridge Networks has been a great company to beta test for. I must say they listen to, and act upon any recommendations I have made over the past 2 years. I also believe Appguard is provides better protection than just about anything out their other than Shadow Defender. Shadow Defender, and Appguard compliment one another very well. Light virtualization, and anti-executable make for an extremely light, and secure setup. It would be hard to make Shadow Defender much better than it already is, but it will need to be updated for SSD's, and new OS's. It would also be nice to be able to make registry exceptions with SD.

Do you have anyone in mind that would be a good choice for having the responsibility of possessing such perfected / great code?

3. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I agree it would be nice but I don't think it would be easy to do due to the way SD works, which involves disk sector tracking below the level of the Windows file system.

Exceptions can be made for files and folders because SD allows all disk sector writes for excluded files to be written to the physical file system, without redirecting the disk sectors to its temporary hidden file where changes to virtualized files are held. Saving registry changes would mean saving changes to the files that make up the registry, which would mean the registry was no longer virtualized.

In order to be able to make registry exclusions, SD would need to make a note all of changes to excluded registry entries then merge these into the registry after exiting Shadow Mode. If I've understood it correctly, I think this is how Faronics Data Igloo works to make registry exclusions for Deep Freeze.

As SD appears to be a dead project, it is alas a pointless speculation on my part. :'(

4. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

I find WSA mediocre at best. If they fix all their false positives I might consider it a decent product.

Any competent anti-executable would provide the same level of protection if set-up correctly. Same thing applies to AppLocker as well.
    It's that I just can't take seriously any vendor who uses .NET for large and cruicial applications such as security. It's my own opinion.

Who I deem worthy of possessing and working with Shadow Defender's source code? Kind of a tough question. Maybe tzuk, Ilya, xioaolin or even Vitali (if he was still active). They all have very well written products.

5. kupo

kupo Registered Member

OFF TOPIC: I'm kinda curious of what did xioaolin and Vitali developed. Mind sharing? I know about tzuk and Ilya and both of their products are top notch :D

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I know Tzuk is the author of Sandboxie which is a great product. Seems like I remember Xioaolin being the author of Malware Defender, but maybe i'm wrong. What code is Vitali, and Ilya responsible for?

7. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Ilya is the developer of Defensewall :D. Now who is Vitali?

8. datarishik

datarishik Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.