Shotwell sucks

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mattdocs12345, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Excuse my ignorance but I can't figure out the point of using Shotwell... Each time I want to see a group of pics, the program requires me to copy those pictures into a home directory. That seems very much so counter productive. There needs to be an option to view pics off of SD card, USB or CD drive without having have to copy it. What If I edit a pic? Now I have to edit to locations?

2. 031

031 Registered Member

You can try gthumb image viewer.

Almost all the image viewers in linux are pretty average and sloppy. The most pathetic thing with linux is so many people doing the same job; thus though there are tons of image viewers for linux, none is close to freewares like irfanview or xn view. What if there were only 3/4 imageviewer projects and effort of volunteer programmers were put into focus only on those projects ! That would have been fantastic and much fruitful. Same goes for desktop environments; I do not understand why so much effort is wasted in doing the same things over and over again for different projects ! I really love linux and i hope someday current scenario will change :isay: :isay:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Version of shotwell on Ubuntu 13.10 allows you to browse the file system.

I do find gthumb better for working with the file system.

4. UnknownK

UnknownK Registered Member

The same doesn't go for DEs. All are different and all have their places. XFCE can do things KDE can't while KDE can do what you can't even imagine in XFCE. Same for GNOME, LXDE etc.

Choice is never a bad thing.

5. mattdocs12345

Okay thank you. I tried it again and you are right it doesn't have to copy images. However it still sucks... It automatically organizes pics by dates. I don't have accurate dates on my pics and I don't want them organized like that. I want them organized by folders. And i can't do that because each time shotwell opens with dates selection by default.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I don't think Shotwell is meant to be just a simple image viewer; its more of a image manager.

7. mattdocs12345

Yeah but it is not a very good image manager because you can't sort images by folder. It automatically forces sorting by date on every start up. Even if you collapse dates selection and expans folder selection it automatically reverts to by date organization.

8. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

i like Gnome. as soon as ubuntu shipped with that stupid row of icons on the left side of the screen i stopped using it.

9. 031

031 Registered Member

I totally agree with you and having options is always good. However for desktop environments i do not see any huge differences. Gnome and kde looks good and heavy on resources while xfce, lxde are light. That is the biggest difference i see and all of them are designed to do the same things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.