Shockwave Doesn't Work Now!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by tizzyliz, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tizzyliz

tizzyliz Registered Member

I've been dealing with this for months now. I just put it aside for a while, but now it's really starting to bug the crap out of me. I've had this happen to me TWICE on two different computers. One running XP and one running 98. (i don't have the 98 anymore so I'll just be talking about the XP). I have a laptop that has XP Professional installed with all current updates. I have the Windows Firewall, and the pop-up blocker that comes with IE. Now I had NO TROUBLE running Shockwave things until I downloaded and installed Spyware programs. In one day, I downloaded Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard, Spybot, and Ad-ware. I've looked in all these programs to find something enabled that would cause Shockwave content to appear with that stupid little box with an "x". Can't find a thing. I have even gone as far as uninstalling ALL the spyware programs, turned off the pop-up blocker & the firewall, rebooted. Used Macromedia's uninstaller program. Rebooted, Did a clean install of Shockwave, and still NOTHING. Now Flash stopped working as well, however, all I had to do was go to Macromedia's website and reinstall Flash, but for some reason that won't work with Shockwave. Now as I said before, I had a computer last year that was running '98 and the same thing happened. Now on that computer, there was no firewall, there was no pop-up blocker. The only things were those same programs I listed above. I've cleaned out my temp. internet files & all the cookies. I've contacted macromedia, but they're USELESS!!!

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! :'(

P.S. I did have zone alarm installed at one point, but no longer have it, however, i am almost 100% sure that I had no probelm with Shockwave while it was installed. Not only that, I definately didn't have it on that '98 pc i had last year, and yet the same problem occured.

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Ensure there is no checkmark for 'Disabled and block Macromedia Flash in Internet Explorer'

Attached Files:

3. tizzyliz

Nope, that's not checked off. Flash works..it's just the Shockwave that won't. Any other ideas?

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Is that XP with SP2 ?

5. tizzyliz

yes i have SP2. I am fully updated on everything. IE, XP, Active x etc.

6. Phant0m

If you were to uninstall SpywareBlaster to determine if there were problems relating, you would most likely first needing to disable all protections from within the program, and doing this there would be no need to uninstall the software.

What is the webpage you trying to view the contents?

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

There is no need for a user to have to un-install Spywareblaster to troubleshoot a matter such as this. Simply selecting Disable All Protection would be more than adequate.

Have you checked your IE Addons to make sure Shockwave has not been disabled ?

IE....Tools\Manage Add-ons

Control Internet Explorer Add-ons with Add-on Manager

8. Phant0m

9. tizzyliz

Well the one website that i LOVE is www.isketch.net. The opening page is flash and that works but once you click to go in and play that's Shockwave and I get the stupid box with the "x". I did check the add-on's and yes, Shockwave is enabled. I just don't know what to do. I know it's not JUST that site. There's tons of games on MSN & Yahoo that never load cause you need shockwave. Isketch is just my favorite and I can't play it anymore. I have already contacted them too, and after discussions with them, they said it's something to contact macromedia about...but like i said before, they are useless...they won't even reply to my support emails (many of them over the last few months!!!)

HELP PLEASE!!! :(

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Would you feel comfortable looking in the registry for the below link ?

If so....go to Start\Run....and type regedit and select Ok.
    Then look in the below registry key....if it exists....and tell us if it matches what the pic is showing.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000}

Attached Files:

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I just had the same problem after installing the latest version. ver.10 I just downloaded ver.9 and reinstalled flash player7 and all works perfect again. :D ver 10 has a compatability problem with one of my security apps.

12. tizzyliz

Yes i have that registry key and it does look the same as your photo. What does that mean? Something good or bad?

bigc....latest version of what? I have the most current verson of shockwave already, and my flash works fine. Are you talking about the latest version of spyblaster?

Tizzyliz

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If you do indeed have that key....and in the right side area it is indeed....0x00000400(1024)....that is what's disabling Shockwave from working.

What you need to do is close all IE browser Windows....go back into the registry and click on the reg key 166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000....and delete that reg key....exit reg edit. Re-visit www.isketch.net and hopefully that will let shockwave work.

14. tizzyliz

OMG! You're an ANGEL!!!!! FINALLY, someone who knew what the problem was!!! (obviously, shockwave works now! HA HA). THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!! :-*

Tizzyliz

P.S. do you know what caused that key to go in my registryo_O (just so I don't make it happen again).

15. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You are very Welcome ;)
    I have no clue....but I do know that it is not an entry in Spywareblaster or Spybots ActiveX database....so they weren't the cause. Spywareguard nor Adaware have ActiveX protection....or should I say....they do not set a kill-bit in regards to ActiveX CLSIDs.

So unless you can offer any other programs that you use that haven't been mentioned....and in particular programs that have blocklists for ActiveX protection....I have no clue what did it :doubt:

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The header title of the thread is about shockwave. I posted because there are quite a few people having problems with shockwave ver.10 and I just let you know what i did that fixed mine. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.