Shocker: Browser Ballot Screen Made Little to No Difference

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

All that Opera whining for nothing :/

3. Daveski17

Yeah, they do enjoy a good whine occasionally at Opera ASA though LOL!

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

According to the article, Opera gained 0.86% in Europe, that's pretty significant for a browser that typically hovers around 2-3%. I wouldn't call it "for nothing".

5. elapsed

There is 0 evidence that they did or did not gain it from the ballot screen. For all you know, if they had not whined so much, it could have increased even more, or perhaps avoided a loss of market share in the US.

6. elapsed

#6 does not explain to me how wrong it is to tell you that, they could have, or couldn't have, lost/gained market share from whining.

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Only because you refuse to read. #6 was not meant to "explain to you how wrong it is to tell you that, they could have, or couldn't have, lost/gained market share from whining". It was meant to ask the obvious question that if "they could have, or couldn't have, lost/gained market share from whining", then how did you know that "all that Opera whining" was "for nothing"?

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

God, either Opera or Linux and the match hits the gasoline. The ballot screen was nothing but a whine-fest and marketing ploy to begin with. I'm pretty freaking sure users knew that just because IE was on their damned systems, it didn't mean it was the only thing they could use. It's never been hard to type in www.opera.com, www.mozilla.com, whatever. Yeah, they had to maybe use IE to get online long enough to go to these websites, oh noes, big evil corporation plot!

Give me an effing break. Oh and in case anyone cares, Opera's low market share is Opera's problem/fault, not Microsoft, not the ballot. Their whining didn't lower their share and it didn't increase their share by any reasonable amount. Their problem lies with their own people, and until they shape up, it won't change. The entire ballot issue was a good PR move for the EU, but in practice it was a failure. They tried to fix a problem where there wasn't one. *claps sarcastically for bureaucrats*

9. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I assume you're aware that Mozilla and Google are part of this whine-fest and marketing ploy as well?

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Of course I am. This wasn't just Opera's doing, they all decided to "teach MS a lesson". They're all idiotic for it too.

11. Daveski17

It's not over until the fat lady sings about the ballot ...

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I think she already sang her last tune and went out for an all you can eat buffet.

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic posts. Let's stick to the subject and not bash either any software nor each other. Thanks!

14. Daveski17

Yeah, she needed the carbs!

Anyway, not to be off-topic, back to the ballot screen. I've seen it. It's pointless.

I hate to say "I told you so", but I distinctly remember saying it (sorry).

The plain fact is that 90% of the Internet surfing population just press the 'Internet' button on their computers when they want to surf & are not like the likes of us.

We are those strange animals who love to experiment with alternatives.

Long live the strange animals ... :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.