Shocked, nay, horrified: I’m back to Norton

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Acadia, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I like KAV but it will not load on my main system.

But I would try F-secure same engine but more stable

2. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I don't believe this! I unistalled FD and now I have one huge mess. The computer wouldn't boot and so I tried "last known good config"' which got me a BSOD Stop 0x0000007B. I then booted into Safe mode and am trying to use system restore. But it is taking forever which I have found in the past means it fails. Ugh. I bet the uninstallation screwed up the boot controller. I have no idea what to do to fix this. It's been a half an hour and it is only 1/2 way through restoring the files. I doubt this has anything to do with KAV 5.0 having been on the box last summer for a few days. When I saw how deep this FD hooks into the system it scared the heck out of me. I hate stuff like that. I would never have tried it if I had known.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Mele20, sorry to hear that you are having problems. There are several users of FD here at Wilders and we two are the first to ever have any problems, and me only almost to the minute that I installed KAV. Good luck, and why don't you try emailing Greg Haynes, he's always been great for me but I must admit that I never had any REAL problems until now. Again, good luck.

Acadia

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

AHHHH...hugh sigh of relief. It took TWO HOURS for system restore to finish and it worked!!!! I was about to try to abort it because the computer had been working so hard for so long, I was worried about oveheating...it is very hot here and no air conditioning. Thank goodness, I didn't disable System Restore like FD recommends! I have never had System Restore take more than 5 minutes to restore. What did it have to do that it took that long? (The only time System Restore has not worked for me was when I had that accursed KAV 5.0 and I tried all 90 restore points and none worked and some took about one-half hour before saying the restore failed. I was desperate because OE had a major problem and I needed system restore).

This is such irony! I get a program that is supposed to keep me from having a heart attack by letting me restore when some other program screws up my computer. But the program doesn't work right and then it, on uninstall, causes the same problem that it is supposed to help me avoid...an application that screws my computer!

I think I may write the tech support guy you mentioned because Raxco needs to know about issues like what happened to me. If this problem is because of remnants of KAV 5.0 still on the box then Raxco needs to put a warning on any download saying that former KAV 5.0 users should install this at their own risk. I got from your comments that the problem is if you have KAV 5.0 and FD installed at the SAME TIME. The Raxco site mentions no support for FD if you have KAV 5.0 installed but says NOTHING about former KAV 5.0 users being at horrible risk if using FD. Plus, there is NO warning when someone goes to download a trial that if you are running KAV 5.0 or have ever run KAV 5.0 that you should not do a trial of KD. There should be a warning.

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Mele, I agree with much of what you say, it is ironic. Unfortunately, KAV leaves behind those accursed ADS changes when you uninstall it, so they are always there. FD does have a warning for Goback users, in fact FD will abort install if it detects Goback on the system, perhaps Raxco should add something similar for detecting KAV 5.0!

It may be really ironic for me, if I can get my system fixed. You can download from Kaspersky a tool for removing/fixing the ADS changes that KAV does to your system, but I've been warned both here and on the KAV forum the the ADS fixer can hose your system too by deleting drivers and such. So I may end up using the ADS tool to fix FD, and THEN use FD to fix any damage that the ADS tool may have done to my system. This is really getting crazy. Now I'm just wondering if I should just try to restore an old disk image that I made using TrueImage or DriveImage, I have both. I have made lots of images using those two programs but I have never had to restore any images .... because of FD always being there to save my butt, until now!!

Acadia

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I hear you ya! It is ironic for you and crazy!

As far as the ADS tags those are all gone except for a mere handful - less than 10. I used System Internals Streams which removed all but 35 of them and those were on system protected in use files. I then tried a bunch of other tools none of which worked and some were very dangerous such as the KAV tool. Then I learned about Streams Shell Extensions and I installed that. It is great as it is a Windows Shell which allows you, on right click on a file, to see if there is any ADS tags on the file including KAV tags and you can delete them right then. Everyone should have this IMO. I was able to delete most of the 35 ADS tags still remaining after running Syst. Internals Streams. I still have about 5 or 6 and I would have to try TDS_3 for those but I figured that few couldn't do any harm and I would have to get a trial of TDS_3 and learn how to use it, etc. So, I think it must be some other remnants left of KAV interfering with FD...perhaps registry keys left? I do run Regcleaner but that is not an aggressive cleaner. I dunno....I know I still have Symantec shared files as NAV 2003 came on this box and NAV is very difficult to remove also.

Well, I hope you get your problem resolved without too much more hassle.

Don't run the KAV tool...it hosed my nVidia drivers and didn't work on top of that! Use System Internals Streams in Safe Mode Command Line. That is the only thing that really works and doesn't ruin your box. I forget the command ...but if you do a search here or at dslreports security forum you can find it.

7. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Acadia & Mele20. Have you tried ADS Spy (see screenshot) http://www.merijn.org/downloads.html , he's the auther of CWShredder & HijackThis among other's, it's very easy to use and in Mele20's case maybe it will enable you to clear the last ADS? :)

Attached Files:

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Mele20, thank you very much for the ADS tool info. I don't know enough about this stuff, I don't believe that there would be any KAV registry entries to worry about. I was actually able to use FD to "take me back in time" to the point BEFORE I had installed KAV so I'm positive that the the registry entries are all gone for me, but I am still having the FD problems probably because KAV added the ADS tags to EVERYTHING including the FD backup Snapshots. I am also wondering if KAV also does something to the Master Boot Record, now that would REALLY mess up FD. Thanks for the well wishes, I have a feeling that I'll be needing them and at this point I am really tempted to just try a TrueImage or DriveImage restore; that SUPPOSEDLY would also fix the ADS problem. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ....

Acadia

9. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Attached Files:

• img.jpg
      img.jpg
      File size:
      27.8 KB
      Views:
  10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Well the BSOD I got after uninstalling FD was a Stop 7B error ....inaccessible boot device. Since I was sure I have no boot virus the other possible reasons that made any sense were corrupted mini port drive, corrupted file system, corrupted system hive in the registry. I can't help but wonder if the reason FD must have corrupted one of these on uninstall is somehow due to the few ADS tags remaining on system files. I didn't try any of the repairs listed by Microsoft for this stop error. Luckily, system restore worked after taking two hours to restore which sounds like an awful lot files to restore? So maybe the file system was corrupted by the uninstallation?

Anyhow, you should be very careful what you do.

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I heard from Raxco tech support today, Greg asked a couple of questions, I answered him, and he got back to me again. Yeah, it's basically what I suspected, he named the exact file in FD that was corrupted by KAV. Before he tells me what to do he had me send him a report log that was created by FD; this is a technical report of some sort that will verify to Greg what happened, then he'll get back to me. I have the definite impression that they have dealt with this before so I am feeling much better now. I will hopefully hear back tomorrow with the solution (fingers crossed).

Acadia

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I said that I would let y'all know how this turned out, well ... still waiting. I've heard from Raxco tech support a couple of times, sent them an error report log of some sort that FD was able to generate, it was over 2MB in size; Raxco is currently studying it ... still waiting to hear from KAV tech support, so far, nothing at all from them (warning to those wanting to use KAV, TRIAL it instead of purchasing it outright like I did; more fool me.)

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.