Shocked, nay, horrified: I’m back to Norton

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Acadia, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The KAV tool worked well for me. I check with Crucial ADS. I do not like streams. :D

2. controler

controler Guest

Yes and Charter now gives F-secure Av and firewall free to it's customers :D

Bruce

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I could not find it either but I am not going to run anything until I hear back from Raxco support. I am now able to "goback in time" but only by using one of the two methods of doing so, one way has been "killed".

Acadia

4. controler

controler Guest

Well RejZor is a member here and I am sure if your mail him he would supply you with his Streams remover, in the event support tells you to get rid of the streams. His program will remove ALL streams, including ones other software added.

Bruce

5. controler

controler Guest

Acadia

You can also run Hijackthis under misc. tools with only ignore safe system info ticked.
    You don't have to delete anything. You can just use it to see what is there and It seems to me when I unsinstalled KAV and used hijackthis to look at the streams, it does not find them all.

Bruce

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I can e-mail you a copy of NTFS Streams eraser. I use it and it is a nice little app. If you want it just pm me and give me the e-mail where you want it sent. I also have a small App (Adsspy) that only reads the ADS and lets you know whats there.

bigc

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

controler,

Your eyes are fine, it's just a tad "hidden", a couple of levels down the "miscellaneous" path, see here

Blue

8. controler

controler Guest

Nope my eyes still don't see it LOL

I see Streams but not NTFS Streams Eraser. o_O

I still have a copy also.

Bruce

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Whoops, so my eyes were the one's amiss. I knew I needed new glasses :) I was thinking Streams (obviously...), not NTFS Streams Eraser.... Time for me to get to bed I'd say..

Blue

10. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Acadia, i use both Kaspersky 5.0 personal & FirstDefense-ISR and i have never experienced any trouble at all o_O .

I wouldn't do without any of them, have you actually tried using FD with Kav installed?

To remove the ADSstreams try ADS spy from . http://www.merijn.org/downloads.html

Regards :)

11. Culvin

Culvin Registered Member

Re: Shocked, nay, horrified: I’m back to Norton

Did you tell KAV not to use iStreams during install, or did you go with the "recommended" settings that include iStreams?

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes. It took five days for the problems to show up but upon looking at the FirstDefense Log problems that I had not noticed had started showing up almost the minute that I had installed KAV. I don't remember now if I had changed any of the KAV default settings, I do remember activating the Exclusions, but I know for certain that I did not mess with any iStreams, this thread was the first that I had heard of them. Yes, I had actually used FD to "do its thing" during those five days, wasn't until the end that weird things started to happen, but I like I said, the FD log show weird things from the start that I had not noticed.

BIGC AND EVERYONE, I want to thank you all for the Stream utility links and offers, but I want to wait until I hear back from Raxco support, should be tomorrow, and thank you all for all the information, sure has been a learning experience.

Acadia

EDIT: I just sent an email to KAV support also, even though if forced to make a choice, I will choose FD-ISR. Still, it might be interesting to hear from them, especially if I can somhow make the two programs work together, I WOULD LOVE THAT!!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  13. Don Pelotas

Hi Bruce

I actually think that NTFS Streams Eraser is Streams from Sysinternals, just with a GUI designed by Rejzor to make it easy to use. :)

14. Don Pelotas

It will be interesting to hear what Raxco & Kaspersky has to say about this, because even though i haven't seen any trouble with my soft/hardware combination, who knows if i might in the future and life wouldn't be the same without one of these two. ;) :D

If you have to choose another AV, then Nod32 and Bitdefender are two that i have used and that i also liked a lot. :)

15. muf

muf Registered Member

I am a KAV 4.5 user. Used to use it resident for over two years. But i wanted something lighter as i am using other resident protection which coupled with KAV was having a noticable impact on my resources. I now use NOD32 resident with KAV on-demand only. Due to my system being at the lower end of the speed rating(1ghz 4 years old), i chose it because of the lighter resource use. But if i had a better pc i would have chosen McAfee, which IMHO is the closest to KAV you can get for protection without actually using KAV itself or a KAV clone.

NOD32 is doing well so far. Hardly notice it running compared to KAV 4.5. But i do use BOClean with it due to the level of trojan protection i have lost since I stopped using KAV resident. McAfee on the other hand has excellent trojan protection and is probably the closest to KAV out of all the other AV's in detecting trojans.

muf

16. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

17. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

What exactly are these streams that KAV places on files? Does NOD32 do this as well?

18. stephentony

stephentony Registered Member

Acadia, I am far from the most knowledgeable person in this forum, but I wanted to say something in regard to KAV. I found through plenty of trial and error, and the added wisdom of many good people here, that there is a way that KAV can be run as an On Demand Scanner, and NOD32 as the Active Scanner. I realize this doesn't address your problem, but I think it's a very solid combination. Much better than Norton! You uninstall Norton, Install KAV, and disable all real time protection along with auto start. Then go into Windows Control Panel, Performance & Maintenance, Administrative Tools, and finally, Services. Once in Services look for the kavsvc entry. Right click, and choose Properties. Change the Startup type from Auto to Manual, and reboot. After that you can install NOD32 without any conflicts. I love having KAV because of it's trojan detection, and NOD32 because it's light, and also because of it's heuristics. I have other applications for spyware installed (Ad-Aware SE Pro & Spy Sweeper) and have had no problems. In fact I just purchased Trojan Hunter 4.1, and it's running fine, too. My machine is a PC I built in 1998 with a Pentium II processor 450 MHz. 256 mb of RAM, and a tiny 20gb hard drive. I have KAV Personal 5.0, allthough I liked 4.5 Pro more. Even with the clunky looking interface. As I said, I know this doesn't truly address your problem, but I thought it might be something to consider. I ran Norton a few years back (2001) and just hated it! If ever there was bloatware... I feel more secure now, and this little machine runs like a charm. Maybe I'll add some more RAM, too! lol

Good Luck

19. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

Now there's something you don't hear every day :eek:

20. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I don't belive so, to the best of my knowledge KAV is the only AV that does this. That is not a bad thing, what is bad is that when you uninstall KAV, KAV does not remove the strings or streams that it created; there are a lot of folks in the KAV forums complaining about this, some even comparing it to Spyware but I feel that those are obviously absurd statements by those who don't fully understand how KAV is working; KAV is simply protecting at a very deep level and not completely removing its changes when you uninstall (can one say "Norton" :eek: )

Acadia

21. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I read your thread referencing this First Defense ISR. I downloaded it last night and I don't have KAV on here but I get an error message that I have not rebooted and thus no snapshots can be made but the snapshot created by the application after installing is there and I made a second snapshot last night. Still though I am told I have not rebooted (I have several times) and no snapshots can be made. So, I tried contacting support, filled out the online form and I can't send it. I'm using Firefox. If I have to use IE then as great as this software looks, I am not interested. I should be able to submit to techsupport on Firefox.
    Now the application won't even start from the systray when I click on it. I created a log before it stopped responding but even if I could submit the online support form how would I attach the log?

Do you know if KAV 4.5 works ok with this application?

The best way to remove the ads tags is to use Streams in Safe Mode after removing KAV 5.0 from your computer. After Streams runs you will be left with about 35 protected Windows files that still have the ads tags attached. You can do one of two things to remove those. Get a trial of TDS_3 and do it manually or you can install the Streams Shell Extensions from the Internet Storm Center.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11624432~mode=flat

Beware of Kaspersky's remover tool. It didn't work well and it fried my nVidia drivers and did this to a number of other users also. Most had nVidia video card but some had ATI.

22. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Have you had KAV 5.0 on the pc on which you are trying to use FD? If so, it’s possible that KAV “remains” are still there and messing with the FD install. Some of the problems that you mention remind me of my problems, and I had no problems until installing KAV.

Yes, KAV 4.5 will work with FD, well that is, if you can remove all of the remains of 5.0.

Have to agree with you that all sites should work with Firefox but a little bit of humility never hurt anyone: http://poptech.blogspot.com/

Good luck, and let me know how everything goes. Also THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the warnings about the ADS removal tool.

Acadia

23. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I am irritated with this Raxco tech support that you say is so great. I went through a hassle just now to put all that information for support on IE since nothing happens when I press the submit button on Firefox. That stupid support wizard at their site kept giving me the Perfect Disk support form on IE, whereas, on Firefox it gave me the FD one immediately. I had an awful time getting the correct form to fill out. I must have said ok to about 25 cookies on IE on the Raxco site also. Between that and constant popups on IE about active scripting which I have on prompt it was no fun. I finally got the correct form and filled it out and the submit button doesn't work on IE either! This is IE6 on XP Pro SP1a. So, I am puzzled how you have such a great tech support experience with these folks and I can't even submit a question. :(

I'll have to uninstall the product. Really, really bad when a company doesn't have tech support and they don't if I can't submit a tech support form to them. Besides they made me answer all sorts of noisy questions just to be able to try this product. I don't own a business but I had to make up a business because I could not download a trial without putting the name of my business and my home address and phone number (I faked all of this) on the form. I don't mind giving my real name, etc. when I purchase but for a trial I am not about to give all that information. Aside from the fact that I don't have a business. I guess Raxco doesn't expect any home users to be interested in the product. Is it just for businesses?

Yes, I had a trial of KAV 5.0 last June on this box. You could not decline ADS tagging back then and I didn't even know what that was. I strongly disliked 5.0 because it has almost no configurability and I was coming to it from two years of Nod32 which has lots of configurability. KAV 5.0 slowed my XP Pro box greatly by causing immediate and massive fragmentation (almost all in System Restore) and rendered all my restore points (90 of them) unusable. I got rid of it after just a few days and installed a 30 day trial of 4.5 and loved it but did not like the GUI and especially had a problem with the font size on the GUI. It gave me bad headaches trying to read it as it is a very tiny font. I would have bought 4.5 except for this reason.

Edit: The help file for FD doesn't include troubleshooting. There is nothing there about the red X on my second snapshot. I see now that Raxco has a toll free number for support. That is very nice....until I just called it and the hours it is open are the exact hours I sleep here in Hawaii. So, since I can't submit a request for help via their web site ( I rebooted and tried again on IE and the submit button doesn't work and I can't see anyway to contact the webmaster) and am asleep when their phone support is available, I guess any program from Raxco is not for me.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  24. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Mele20, yeah it's almost certain, in my opinion, that your previous install of KAV 5.0 is what's causing the FD problems; KAV just doesn't completely clean up after itself.

Whenever I need tech support for FD I simply email GHayes"AT"raxcoDOTcom, I have never filled out any forms, but to repeat what I have said, I'm certain that KAV hosed the ability for your system to use FD. I will post whatever I hear back from Greg, hopefully today.

Acadia

25. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I was editing my post while you were posting as I just now saw it after I posted my edit.

Gee, I guess FD is not for me what with problems due to KAV 5.0 from long ago and no way to submit a request for help on Raxco's web site and then the worst of all ....their support hours are horrible for Hawaii especially if one is a night owl.

When I rebooted FD was available again from the Systray but it should not have become unavailable like it did and maybe that is because of remnants of KAV still on here. It removed the second snapshot I made ok. I sure hope I don't have problems when I uninstall it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.