Shocked, nay, horrified: I’m back to Norton

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Acadia, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

After 5 days as a KAV user, I'm back to Norton. It turns out that KAV was incompatible with my all time favorite software ever, FirstDefense-ISR. There is even an alert in the Raxco knowledgebase that states FD will not be supported if you are running KAV.

Some folks will wonder why I didn't dump FD and keep KAV. Well, there are a couple of other excellent anti-virus out there but there is only one FD-ISR, there is no other product quite like it and it has saved me from to much blood, sweat and tears, I just couldn't leave it. Oh, well, back to the drawing board. :doubt:

So, let me ask the KAV lovers this, if for some reason you could not use KAV, what would you use as a replacement? Please, only KAV folks answer this one, I already know about NOD, etc.

Acadia

2. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

Truly, I'd use NOD32 if I can't use KAV, but as you seem to already know about it, I'd use AVG or avast.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

No, that's ok, if someone who uses KAV but could not, would make NOD their second choice, than I want to hear that; I could have worded it better. To repeat: I want to hear from KAV users, and if they could not use KAV and would make NOD their replacement, then I DO want to hear that, thanks.

Acadia

4. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Sorry to hear it didn't work out, but why Norton again. :doubt:
    If I had to choose I would try out NOD, but that's not what you wanted to hear. :D
    Seriously, I was very pleased with my previous antivirus BitDefender Standard 7.2, but after a while it didn't update anymore. A friend recommended KAV, so I decided to give it a run for his money. Man, I was sold and bought it the next day.

Until now it never failed updating :), so definitely a winner, as well as for the protection and the ease of use.
    btw I always checked the update alerts to see if it was correct. Call me paranoid. :rolleyes:

I still am a registered user of BitDefender and tried version 8.0 on my other PC, which I also did with version 7.2. Surprise!!! It updated its definitions again.:mad:

I'm no expert on antivirus, but for me BitDefender served me well. ;)

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Why Norton, because using FD-ISR I went "back in time" to the point before I installed KAV when I was using Norton, so that is now what I am using, awaiting a change of mind, once I figure out what that change of mind is. The alternative was to uninstall KAV and have no anti-virus at all and I hope that even the Norton haters would agree that even Norton is better than no anti-virus at all.

No, that is what I wanted to hear, read my second post in this thread. Thanks very much for your opinion.

Acadia

6. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

That's kind of controversial, don't you think or am I wrong. ;)
    I've read it, so I recommended BitDefender. :)

7. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

If your Machine works ok under Norton's load, I guess you could stay with it. Don't worry about haters. ;)

tECHNODROME

8. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

FirstDefense-ISR. o_O :oops: What is that?

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes, like I said, I could have worded it better. :doubt:

Acadia

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

11. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

As an ex-NAV user, now on KAV, I certainly wouldn't go back to Norton 'cos of their appalling support. I would consider the latest McAfee though, because of it's ferocious detection rate which is comparable to KAV and much better than NOD.

12. Culvin

Culvin Registered Member

Re: Shocked, nay, horrified: I’m back to Norton

You got me curious why an AV would be incompatible with imaging software, so I did a little searching and found this:

"We have found that Kaspersky Labs Anti-Virus adds a data attribute to the user's source files. This modification of the user's source files is against our integrity checks and thus Kaspersky Labs Anti-virus should not be installed for FirstDefense-ISR to fully protect your system. We have notified Kaspersky Labs, since any application performing file integrity checks may cause problems."

Is this referring to iStreams? Is FirstDefense saying that they're not incompatible with ADS?

If so, just disable iStreams during KAV's install (assuming you're using the personal version). This might slow down the real-time monitor a little bit, but I'm sure it still wouldn't be as bad as Norton's.

Either way, I'd recommend emailing Kaspersky's support and seeing what they have to say on the issue. They're usually good about taking care of this sort of thing.

And to answer your question, I generally recommend KAV to people that want the best overall malware protection, and NOD32 to people that want a good, lightweight scanner. You may be asking for the best overall malware protection other than KAV, which isn't something I can answer. Optimally, you'd be able to get KAV working with FirstDefense.

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Excellent research! Where did you find this? I only found one small reference to KAV on the Raxco site. Thanks much for the added info, I appreciate that and the effort that went into it. :cool:

Acadia

14. Culvin

Culvin Registered Member

I found that information here: http://www.leapfrogsoftware.com/support_info/faq/

I wish I knew if it was referring to ADS. "adds a data attribute to the user's source files" is a little vague. If you email Kaspersky, let me know what they say about this compatibility issue.

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I'm not sure but KAV seems to have somehow affected the Master Boot Record or at least FD's interaction with it. FD is like GoBack, it jealously guards the MBR, that is why GoBack and FD are incompatible, although why someone would want both programs on one pc at the same time is beyond me.

Since installing (and then having gotten rid of) KAV I am still able to use FD but not fully. I am waiting to hear back from Raxco tech support to regain full functionality.

16. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Just a question. Is it the KAV program itself?? Would a product that uses a KAV based engine resolve the problem, while still giving you the Kaspersky protection you are after??

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

According to the LeapFrog website that Culvin supplied, KAV is the only anti-virus that is named as being incompatible.

Acadia

18. mikel108

Have you ever given thought to F-Secure. It is a huge program to download, but it does come with Ad-aware pro. I am using the MS offer for six months right now. I did try KAV, not my flavour of AV.

19. Culvin

Culvin Registered Member

My biggest problem with Kaspersky is that they don't remove their ADS when you uninstall KAV. You will need to use a tool like NTFS Streams Eraser from http://www.excessive-software.tk/ to accomplish this.

If you got rid of KAV by reverting to an old image, well, I'm not sure if that would completely remove the ADS or not.

I'm brining this up in case it's the problem.

20. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes, and I still am considering it, thanks.

Acadia

21. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Acadia,

As I've described here, I'm a KAV WS user, but my primary partition runs NOD32/BOClean. NOD32 has and continues to make great strides in beefing up trojan detection, but for a variety of reasons I believe it's prudent to run NOD32 (most AV's in fact) in concert with a good AT, my preference being BOClean for realtime coverage.

Blue

22. controler

controler Guest

yes KAV attaches streams to every single file on your computer. As mentioned they are visiable to windows untill you uninstall KAV.
    I would suggest using RejZoR's stream remover. I have used it and it works great.

found here.

www.security-ops.tk

I am guessing your program didn't know how to revert back to another time with the streams added.
    Most will tell you that are KAV hardcores that streams are harmless LOL
    & who cares about resources. It don't think it is that big a deal.
    Unless it stops your computer from responding like KAv used to do.
    Norton has been around along time so don't cut them short.
    NOD is a great AV also. Not many here have really tested their fav AV on
    a huge list of nasties, they base their whole hype on My DEAR resources.

Bruce

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

24. mikel108

Regarding F-Secure. I was just to the site and they have now dropped the price to 39.95USD, which is cheaper than KAV.

25. controler

controler Guest

I have heard the KAV Tool doesn't work all that great and there is a couple other threads on the KAV tool.

I just checked Sysinternals, security-ops and eXcessive's site and sadly enough either my eyes are getting tired or that NTFS Streams Eraser has been removed.
    Glad I kept a copy ;)

Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.