Shields UP! Reports perfect stealth without firewall, HOW?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by truthseeker, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

I am running Vista.

I have Vista Firewall turned OFF!

Then I tested my PC. And Shields Up! And other websites reports PERFECT STEALTH, even though I have NO FIREWALL RUNNING!

And; http://probe.hackerwatch.org/probe/probe.asp REPORTS ALL PORTS ARE NOT VISIBLE TO ANYONE!

How is that possible? Any ideas anyone?

So I dont need a Firewall program?

2. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Router/Internet Connection Sharing.

3. truthseeker

Whats that mean?

4. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

It means you have a router or your using internet connection sharing (ICS).
    Do you have 2 boxes near each other?

5. truthseeker

I dont have any 2 boxes near each other, whatever that means.

I am only using a Siemens 4200 DSL modem.

So I dont need to use a Firewall at all in Vista?

And I checked the config in modem. The firewall in modem is turned OFF!

So what is going on? LOL. I have perfect stealth reports, yet firewall in Vista and Modem is turned OFF!

Anyone have a good explanation?

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Proxy? Did you scan your own machine?
    Mrk

7. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

A hardware firewall stops in bounds. A software firewall stops out bounds. So yes you still need a software firewall.

http://www.matousec.com/projects/wi...nal-firewall.php#purpose-of-personal-firewall

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2008
  8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

It doesn't matter. The scan is likely hitting and "seeing" your modem's WAN port. If you note the ip address that Shields Up is scanning you will probably find it's different than that of you pc's ip address under Network Connections.

9. Jon_T

Jon_T Registered Member

In addition to wat01114's post.

The AT&T - High Speed DSL Modem is the Siemens 4100 DSL modem which has both:

• Concurrent NAT and NAPT; and
    • Configurable ICSA-compliant Stateful Inspection Firewall with Denial of Service (DOS) protection for secure communication and Internet access.

For additional info (explanation) see NAT Routers.

10. truthseeker

I looked under Network Connections, but cant see any PC IP there.

Where exactly do I find this IP you refer to in Vista?

11. truthseeker

So I dont need a Firewall at all then do I, seeing I keep getting Perfect Stealth Reports without even having Firewall on in Modem and not having a Firewall on in Vista?

Or do those perfect stealth reports only mean that nobody can hack into my PC? And I also need a Vista Firewall to stop any spyware etc if I was to get any, sending data OUT?

Do I understand this correct?

Thank you for your patience and time.

12. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Try here:

find ip address in Vista

I would enable either Vista's built-in firewall or the firewall in your modem. The stealth result does not really mean your machine is being properly "firewall" protected. It is just your modem's WAN port - I believe - that is being scanned and since there are no programs holding any ports open, it comes up stealthed. However, there is likely no proper filtering such as even basic SPI (stateful packet inspection) or DPI (deep packet inspection) being done by the modem firewall, since it is disabled as you alluded to earlier. The feature is built into your modem, so it makes sense to take advantage of it, or leave it disabled and use Vista's firewall. If it were up to me, I would use the modem firewall because then it will shield your pc from all that Internet "noise".

If you have more questions, feel free to ask. There are many knowledgeable members in this forum happy to help. You could also try this Other Firewalls Sticky Posts if you are interested in knowing more about firewalls and related matter :)

13. truthseeker

Yeah my Vista IP address is different to the IP that SHields UP! says I have. Hence, reason for stealth, as you suggested.

So its good I get Stealth Protection. However, having said that, I have now installed COMODO Firewall. It looks good :)

14. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hopefully it works well for you :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.