Shields UP problem using the latest verion of Outpost Pro

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by SpeedyPC, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Registered Member

G'day all,

Since I haven't checked Outpost Pro FW using Shields UP for ages and keep in mind my Outpost FW settings are all set to default nothing has change, however when I run Shields UP through Common Ports section I have one error saying Port 1030 (Host) is Close how do I fix this minor problem set to stealth.

Where have I gone wrong o_O with Port 1030 (Host) not set to stealth, in OP settings in firewall section I have tick "run in stealth mode" and my firewall strength level is "rules wizard". Keep in mind I've switch from Comodo FW to Outpost Pro and I've bought a lifetime licence, and I'm still learning to used Outpost Pro Firewall.

My system are list below.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

do you have a router?

3. SpeedyPC

No I don't have a router I'm connected to a cable modem with no hardware firewall.

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Are Outpost's logs showing scan attempts from Shield'sUp? I'm just trying to verify if Outpost is intercepting the scans.

5. SpeedyPC

In the Outpost Pro packet log report from the Shield's UP range only showing 4.79.142.206 no other number, and in the target port section from the packet log report not showing port 1030 has been blocked it not reported in the log.

I'm thinking this might be a bug in the Outpost rules setting during the installation and I have reinstalled twice.

Edit: see attachment

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Do those scans show up in the "Attack Detection" logs?

7. SpeedyPC

I created a screen shot of the "Attack Detection" log it telling me nothing I can see or understand see attachment

Attached Files:

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

That's okay, it's probably the packet logs only where you'd see the logged scans. it's been a long time since i used OP. The only possibility I can think of now is that your modem may be intercepting at port 1030, where its port is closed, and might explain why you don't see the port in the logs. Just a thought. I would not worry about the results you see. "Closed" is secure, while "stealth" is overrated. BTW, maybe you could create a Block rule for local port 1030 if it still concerns you.

9. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Just ran a test and all 'stealth' here
    thats with Outpost in 'Block Most'
    Code:
    GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2011-10-10 at 14:18:17
    Results from scan of ports: [B]0-1055[/B]
    0 Ports Open
    0 Ports Closed
    1056 Ports Stealth
    ---------------------
    1056 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH
    - NO unsolicited packets were received,
    - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  10. SpeedyPC

Then explain this to me why when I removed Outpost Pro from my second PC laptop and installed Comodo, and run the shields up commons port test and everything showing as stealth. And I removed Comodo FW and installed Outpost Pro back onto my second PC laptop, and run the test and 1 error showed up to me and done it twice with two different FW and sorry this had nothing to do with my ISP.

I don't believe the Outpost firewall section I have tick "run in stealth mode" is not strong enough or the FW rules setup isn't correctly, compared with Comodo FW when I picked "Block all incoming connections and make my ports stealth for everyone" because both FW rules are completely different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.