Shields Up or Down?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Rico, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

ShieldsUp is very wordy about Network, complicated also;

When I looked at my network, I found"

Un-ticked "File & Printer Sharing for Micorsoft Network"

I then Un-Ticked "Client for Microsoft Networks"

Re-sart the browser, visit ShieldsUp & it identified me as:

pool-71-109-2.......net

Do I have more to do? Am I still vulnerable to the evils Steve Gibson wrote about?

Thanks
    rico

2. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I've now gone to the WINS tab & unticked "LM Hosts" & chose "Disable NETBIOS over TCP/IP.

Should I or do I need to install MS Loopback, which shields up talks about?

This is a stand alone PC, I don't think I need "NET BEUI" for file sharing, as I don't for see, using file or printer sharing.

Thanks
    rico

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

what are u trying to do?

pool-71-109-2.......net

the first part identifies your Internet connection, the middle part is your IP, and teh last part is probably a domain name related to your ISP.

if you have a dynamic IP, well then, the number will change but the other parts may not.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I don't see the problem. When I do a scan with ShieldsUp, depending on which connection I test, it's usually a generic name containing ISP name and IP. No problem with that.
    Mrk

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Messrs Fuser, Mrk

One of the threads here was talking about ShieldsUp & networking etc. I looked at networking there & found what was posted above. Mr Gibson is very verbose, & attemps to scare/shock. So I thought it would be nice if it could not see my IP address + reduce the vulnerabilities, Mr Gibson writes about.

Mr Gibson says all the connections are bound together, & for safe computing they should be un-bound. & certain ports closed, & that TCP/IP needs something to bind to, when un-bound. The new binding partner for TCP/IP would be the (user) newly created "MS Loopback." I probably have gotten some of this wrong, cause I don' understand it. But you can see it at ShieldsUp perhaps #2 or 3, Network Bondage, & What You Can Do.

I'm using a DSL connection & from my notes many years ago, I had from the WINS tab, NetBios over TCP/IP turned "off", but later I was told this is not necessary when using a router. So now I'm somewhat confused.

Also if you should install "MS Loopback" for TCP/IP's new binding partner, do you keep, Netbios over TCP/IP "OFF?"

Thanks & Take Care
    rico

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You need NetBIOS if you're sharing your internet connection.
    Furthermore, most decent ISPs block this port.
    Lastly, if you have a normal firewall, you should not be worried.
    Don't let the hype / hysteria get the better of you. Relax. Enjoy the world.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.