shelliconhiddenwindow error at shutdown

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by NOD32 user, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

There's been many reports recently of users being stuck with an error closing 'shelliconhiddenwindow' when trying to shutdown / restart their computer. Through trial and error some have correctly identified an update to MusicMatch Jukebox as the culprit. MusicMatch have released a further update that successfully resolves this issue and it may be applied by following the MusicMatch Technical Support email quoted below.
    NOTE:- Jukebox 'Plus' users get free priority technical support.

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Solution for shelliconhiddenwindow error at shutdown

The previous post is a solution for the problem.
    Does anybody here use MMJB or have any experience with it?

3. mooneys

mooneys Guest

won't let me open any programs at up either

4. I found after trying several times to delete the startup apps by using msconfig, and going back to following the directions sighted above(and once again deleting things from start up) that I still had the problem, not right away, but after awhile. My only solution thusfar is to delete MM10 and download MM9 and use it instead.
    They really need to fix this.

5. eventuser14

eventuser14 Guest

i just want to know what it does. is it major? how do i find this stuff out

6. jimmy dean

jimmy dean Guest

UM...OMFG I did this and I lost all my playlists and my ratings......

Once you uninstall there are NO FOLDERS left....that doesn't apply to any of the newer versions.....I lost it all trying to follow these instructions. However they did work...the price I paid was NOT worth the fix. DAMMIT right after switching back to music match after getting sick of yahoo music engine....

7. frd

frd Guest

Hi, I am having the same problem with a fairly new gateway laptop with an AMD 64 Bit Athlon prossessor, so I know that the computer isn't slow, i have musicmatch 10.1 and this has been popping up for some time now. i am taking notice to it now that it is slowing my computer to the point that i cant download attachments and get on the internet easilly, to top all of this, i have no computer background and i dont know any thechnical terms. is there anybodythat can help me?
    Thank you.

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I googled and found some detailed instruction for this issue here,

http://forums.wugnet.com/-Shell-Icon-Hidden-Window-ftopict396553.html

snowbound

9. kendo2

kendo2 Guest

Tried "http://dnld.musicmatch.com/builds/MMD/PC/DNL/999990000/" download, removed {(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run) "MimBoot"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\MUSICM~1\\MUSICM~1\\mimboot.exe"} key, normal sized icons (as there are no small ones avail) in XP-Home,
    run "msconfig"--I have no Musicmatch entries anywhere. The only sure solution that is 100% effective for me is to uninstall Musicmatch completely, and no more "ShellIconHiddenWindow" error messages! FYI from MMJB Tech support (in part on 31JAN06):
    "Hello,

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Customer Support.

Our engineering staff is currently looking into the problem that you are
    experiencing. We apologize for the inconvenience and would like to
    assure you that we are doing everything in our power to resolve the
    issue as quickly as possible.

We appreciate your patience and understanding on this matter. As always,
    your satisfaction is our goal.

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care.

Regards,

Bruce"

10. dfe362

dfe362 Registered Member

According to:
    <<Reinstall Musicmatch Jukebox by running the setup file downloaded from the following URL:
    http://dnld.musicmatch.com/builds/MMD/PC/DNL/999990000/>>

I downloaded
    mmsetup_10004033_ENU_MMD_Toolbar.exe
    and reinstalled according to instructions as above.

shelliconhiddenwindow error at shutdown
    is still very frequent when I use MusicMatch Plus (registered)

Furthermore, lookup tags works very bad (since ever), but after reinstalling the program there is a novelty for myself:
    thumbnails are automatically opened by "lookup" only in the case I accept at first tags (without images, with the sign "blocked"), and the I restart the program and the lookup of files that are still in the playlist.

Occasionaly, I was successful in avoiding to restart, by running mm_director.exe

I feel sad...

11. dfe362

dfe362 Registered Member

Re: Solution for shelliconhiddenwindow error at shutdown

My friend, unfortunately the proposed solution doesn't work at all, in my case.

12. rayak

rayak Registered Member

I have owned MMJB since it started. It seems that the trouble started when they changed over to Win XP. However, by downloading the program, - uninstalling the version on the HDD, shutting down, re-starting, and re-installing MMJB, I have found (so far) that things seem to be OK! However, I must say that I have removed the pre-start section from my startup. I generally use "system mechanic" to manage the startup progs. I still use MMJB with my "iPod", as "iTunes" is nowhere as flexible. To do this, I simply run the old plugin that was supplied some years ago. Still seems to work with the current ver.
    I have used most features in MMJB, From Burning, to copying from old Vinyls, to generating mp3 files for Video editing. I still think that the program, (although it occasionally locks up), is the best that I've tried.

13. TechnoAdvocate

TechnoAdvocate Registered Member

After encountering the shelliconhiddenwindow error myself, I did a little research on the topic. I too run MusicMatch Jukebox.

A few things I discovered was: there's a lot of misinformation ( and bad advice) being disseminated regarding this error. Case in point - people advising others to change registry entries. This is a VERY dangerous practice unless you have a LOT of experience in this space. One incorrect change made to the registry can create a domino effect, impacting more code than you can begin to imagine.

I was fortunate to find my own remedy to the 'shelliconhiddenwindow' error by employing a documented (and safe) Microsoft XP Pro utility called SFC. If you own a legitimate copy of the XP operating system, you may find (as I did) that by running SFC with the '/scannow' parameter, the problem will go away.

Let me know how it went. I'd be interested to hear back from anyone who tries this approach.

TechnoAdvocate

14. trevormc

trevormc Registered Member

The easiest method to get rid of the shelliconhiddenwindow is to click on the Start Menu\Run\msconfig.
    This will open the Windows Configeration Options.
    Open the Startup tab and switch off (the checkboxes) all the startup items which relate to Musicmatch.
    Apply the changes, close everything and reboot the system.
    When Windows stsrts up again you will receive a notice that you have made changes to the Windows Configeration Utility, Check the checkbox so it don't open the Configeration Utility again, click ok and go about your business, it wont worry you any more.

15. heystraw

heystraw Registered Member

I went to music match and they told me to change my internet security setting to medium and the problem went away.
    simple

16. pdnRPH

pdnRPH Registered Member

NOD32 is brilliant. It worked. I assume I delete the Musicmatch old nowo_O
    Thank you for filling us all in.

17. AlexCR14

AlexCR14 Registered Member

Unfortunately, I have the same problem...and when Shelliconhiddenwindow isn't responding, the rest of my computer goes bonkers and no other program functions properly.

I use MusicMatch for music downloads so deleting the program is not an option. My first step to alleviate the problem was to remove Musicmatch from the Startup folder (Start-Run-"msconfig"-enter). I just start the program whenever I want to use it, and close it immediately when done listening. The key is that after you've closed the program, you have to open the task manager and end two processes that remain running after the fact: MMDiag.exe & mim.exe

After this you should be good to go, unless you were listening to music for an extended period of time.

Good luck! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.