SHELLEXECUTEHOOK.DLL at startup

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Cel, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cel

Cel Registered Member

XP Pro SP2 Startup Programs AVG Free, Zone Alarm Free, Winpatrol, Taskcatcher, BoClean, B9 and Spybot Teatimer.

I am currently using the Free Version of Ewido. I had started with the trial version 8/04/06
    The following Shellexecutehook.dll keeps running at startup. I disabled C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe in the services.

I have Winpatrol that indicates this setting is a default condition for Windows to operate normally and WP for my protection will not remove it.

How do I safely delete this dll? Will removing it once I learn how effect the running of my operating system. Will I still be able to use Ewido as an on call scanner.

Anti-Malware Development a.s.
    Version: 4, 0, 0, 172
    Copyright © 2005 Anti-Malware Development a.s.
    Startup Location: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\EWIDO ANTI-SPYWARE 4.0\SHELLEXECUTEHOOK.DLL

Date Created 6/16/2006 10:38 AM
    Last Saved 6/16/06 10:38
    File Size 73,728

Ewido installed as trial version 8/04/06

2. karl.ewido

karl.ewido former ewido team

This dll file should not be removed because it is used for the Windows Explorer Context-menu scan entry. If you do not want to have this 'Scan with ewido' entry in the Explorer context-menu, you have to edit the Windows Registry.

3. Cel

Cel Registered Member

Thank you for your quick reply. I do want to have the context menu. Someone in another forum that I posted in first before I found this official forum tried to tell me it was a keylogger. Glad to find out it is something good that I want. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.