Shared Folders No Longer Accessible Over LAN After Installing ATI 8.0

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by David Tong, May 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Tong

David Tong Registered Member

After installing Acronis True Image 8.0 (trial version, build 826) on laptops running Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2000 SP4, I found that it stopped the host computer from being able to share folders over a WiFi LAN. Attempts to access the folders produced Error Event 2011 (‘not enough server storage’) on the remote computer.

To make sharing work again I had to increase IRPStackSize from the original setting of 11 (decimal) to 15. Using Regedit you can access IRPStackSize at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters. You have to reboot before the change takes effect.

Useful links: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;177078, http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mi...e image event id 2011&rnum=2#6d776ed8b028eaec.

Hoping this saves others from wasting a day like I did…

David Tong.

2. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

This is probably due to file system filters.

All kinds of programs install filesystem filters... when you run out of them you get problems like this.

I had it on a server once, using V2I, one time out of many installations.

I guess Acronis or any other software mnf. can prepare for *any* setup it encounters.

3. David Tong

Google told me that Norton Antivirus can cause a similar effect but I use NAV2002 and it's not happened (so far). Is this sort of thing cumulative in the sense that one app on its own might not do it but that two might? (I suppose I could uninstall NAV to check this out but I've had enough for now...).

I do wish Acronis had mentioned the possibility and not made me find out the hard way.

4. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

It's in the True Image FAQ and discussed on this board many times.

5. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

David, it accumulates, like you said.

Antivirus does it, Acronis does it, anti-spyware stuff, regular backup software...

Welcome to Windows :p

6. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Sounds like another case of "640 KB of memory is plenty enough"....

7. David Tong

Well, I read the FAQ and searched the forum for Shared Folders, Error 2011 and a few other things but not IRPStackSize, which finally located it :oops:

Still can't find it in the ATI FAQ though... (any clues?)

Reassuring to find such an active forum. I guess I'll be registering ATI. Our current laptops have removable drives and I use Casper XP to make bootable duplicates for backups. But on a planned new one, you break the warranty if you take out the drive, so ATI looks like a good alternative.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello David,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

This problem was mentioned in our Acronis True Image FAQ section but we removed this advice because the error you described almost disappeared and we haven't heard about it for a long time. We will certainly consider editing FAQ since the problem appears sometimes.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

I recommend you do add this advice back into th FAQ. I experienced this issue with the Trial Version build 903 the past week. I had to increase the stack size from 15 (decimal) to 21 to get it to work. I don't think I should have to experiment to set the correct value.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.