Share Your Routine Between Images

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Genady Prishnikov, Dec 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

This could be a fun - and informative - thread if as many as possible tell us their routine for keeping track of changes between images and how you handle the management of your images.

Here's mine......

Starting from a clean image, I'll add to it when adding new programs by keeping a list.
    I'll go to my list immediately after making a change, so I can remember to do it next time I restore my last good image. It works like this......

Since March 14th, 2006 Image:

- Changed .avi file association from REAL to Media Player Classic
    - Installed registered version of DVD Santa
    - Installed/Upgraded new FoxIt Reader
    - Changed password for "Lock My PC"

I'll run with the above, but then, before I make a new image, I'll restore the March 14th image, make the changes that are listed.

Then, each time I create a new image (after performing the tasks above on my last "clean image") I'll:

- Update Ewido, Spy Sweeper, Spybot S&D, AdAware with latest program updates and definitions.

- Run comprehensive antivirus screen.

- Wipe Free Space.

- Run Registry Cleaner from Tune-Up Utilities.

- Run Tracks Eraser Pro, Window Washer, CCleaner, MRU Blaster

Repeat as necessary. My next list would start like:

Since April 3, 2006 Image:

I also keep my lists running in one long text file so that if I needed to restore to an image from January, for example, I still have a running list of each change made on what date since that time.

I can put my last "clean image" on in less than five minutes, so I tend to do this routine every three weeks or so. It's fast enough that I sometimes will just restore the latest image on a lark if I have the slightest hint of something going on.

Anybody else want to share their routines and how they keep track?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

~removed whole long quote of post directly above....Bubba~

Too much work, and I'd only lose the list. Simpler solution. I use FDISR, and keep an Archive off disk with the images. takes about a minute to update the archive so i do it very frequently.

Then if restore an image that is out of date, I just update with my FDISR archive and I am current. Easy.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2006
  3. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

I don't find it too much trouble at all. My list is actually in a text file in my information database under a tab called, "Since Last Image" so it's not going to get lost. I like the total control. Imaging and snapshot programs are different too. But thanks for sharing!

4. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I agree with Pete, GP.

I keep two images ie. yesterday & the day before, today becomes yesterday and yesterday becomes the day before, that will happen tomorrow though. I keep these current along w/ a weekly image done every Sunday to an external USB HDD. That is w/ FDISR. In case something happens, I can go back to yesterday or the day before, or to the previous Sunday. In my mind that's ample time to find if something has gone awry.

I keep an ATI image every day. Also use Genie BackUp Manager for redundant file backup on a daily basis. These are also stored externally.

Set it up once and forget it.

Attached Files:

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Roughly once a month:
    Burn important data to DVDs, at least 2 copies, plus copy data to backup partition, another PC and external HDD.
    Image important partitions - new fresh backups, then created images to DVDs, backup partition, another PC and external HDD.

I don't keep a deliberate track between images. I work. And whatever gets created gets backed up. The same applies for programs.

Mrk

6. noway

noway Registered Member

Genady I do it similar to you, but keep change records in a log book on my desk. I can go back several years of log books and read what happened. I also record other events/comments/problems,etc. in the log book. The last time I did a format/clean install I just went back to my last log book for info.

I make sure I erase unnecessary/redundant stuff for b4 making an image, such as internet history, firewall logs, event viewer, etc. Important changes that I make without re-imaging right away I back up as individual files just in case I lose them b4 I make a new image.

7. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Noway - I do the same, regarding notes or log book, very valuable, saved my butt many times.

Also I have a 3 ring binder, with dividers, one section for hardware, example one page for scanner info. + receipt + tech. data, another section has printed info for BIOS settings + registry tweaks I've made w/dates, another section has, info. like software keys. Very helpful all info in one place. I image this machine every Sunday & in acronis's notes (before increment starts) I go back in my notes, to the previous Sunday & write brief notes, in acronis, about the changes that will be added to the current increment. Tis may seem cumbersome & too much work for others, but it suits me fine, & I can tell, exactly when something goes bad, & narrow the search for the mis-behaving app.

Take Care
    Rico

8. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

run multiple boxes only one of which is for new software and tweaks Im considering. About every 3 months that box is scraped and only the aps and tweaks I really use retained. I reimage from the old install (or start fresh depending) add in the new tweaks and replace the old image. If I can't recall an ap or tweak, its generally not important enough to keep.

Data sets are separate from the OS and are distributed as generated into multiple locations throughout the network as well as burned to hard media. Meaning they get dumped on the NAS box and are also retained on the box they came from. If really important distributed to every box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.