Shall I use DEP in Vista?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by TairikuOkami, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I had never used DEP in XP, I even used to disable it in Vista till yesterday.
    But I have decided to use UAC, so I turned on DEP for all programs and I wonder:
    Does software DEP slow down PC and is it really needed, since UAC asks for exe anyway?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

unlike UAC, DEP is silent. and it doesnt affect performance afaik.

u can even enable DEP for all programs; theres very few programs are incompatible with it anyways. and for those that are there, u can easily exclude them.

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

OK, thanks. I will keep it on. ;)

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

What is exactly DEP (Data Execution Prevention)? Does it work as an in built HIPS within XP? I have enabled it for all programs, and so far I've noticed no slowdowns or conflicts with any program.

Some info, thanks

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I've always turned it on for all programs and services, then you can tweak the programs that have a problem with it when prompted.
    It will help in stopping a process trying to put data beyond where it is supposed, into other memory locations - buffer overrun/overflow.

buffer overflow attacks

software protects aganst one, hardware DEP is what you need.

DEP in Depth

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah i'd recommend using it, my cpu has hardware DEP so i always have it enabled. The only problems i've had was on win2003, when i tried to play some games they would crash out so i had to use DEP only for essential windows programs and services.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

@farmerlee - did u try adding the games to the DEP exclusion list?

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

LOL i actually never even thought about doing that, ROFL! I'm glad theres some smart people like you on this board to help us newbs :)

9. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

If the DEP in Vista is the same as that in XP, then it certainly can be worked around by malware, but as long as there are no compatibility issues, keeping it on should not do any harm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.