ShadowUser pros/cons?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by masqueofhastur, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Registered Member

Sorry if some of this could be answered by searching, I need to get back into a topic before I get good at searching for things, so bear with me until I've gathered enough info to be searching properly.

When I have had my system boxed up tightly with security software before, I was finding I was spending more time allowing my system to do what it wanted than I was actually being defended against malware. System slowdowns were also a pain. So given that I don't run into malware that often, something that's efficient and transparent is a better option for me.

ShadowUser seems pretty foolproof. I got the ShadowSurfer license when it was free, but since it only works on a per partition basis (and I think I lost the license key anyway), and I have found multi partitions to be problematic with Vista. Since certain directories can be shadowed, I figured I could have my whole system shadowed, except for my user directory. I write documents, and I download videos, so having to reboot before doing that would be a pain. I sometimes go on program installation sprees, so during those SU wouldn't be useful since I'd have to turn it off.

Also, the big issue that SU doesn't cover is identity protection. I do online purchases, I use my Credit Card online, so spyware that gets on in the time between reboots (sometimes that's quite long) would be able to gather information from me and could still pose problems.

If I use ShadowUser, what would I have to combine it with to protect my financial information (that's my only major concern, aside from worrying about reinstalling my system too often after it has been hosed).

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

masqueofhastur,
    You need softwares that stop the execution of malware :
    1. Anti-Executable, userfriendly but trial it because it could be a pain for you.
    2. System Safety Monitor
    3. ... any similar software.

ShadowUser also recommends to separate your data files from system files :
    1. System Partition = Windows + ShadowUser + Applications
    2. Data Partition = all your personal files, emails, ...

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  3. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Registered Member

What are examples of Anti Executable programs so I can do proper searching?
    Is System Safety Monitor a program name or a type of program? I've seen it mentioned before but couldn't really figure it out as it seems mentioning it is self understood.

Having multiple partitions is quite a pain, I've run into a number of problems with it, so I would prefer a solution that doesn't rely on that.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Anti-Executable Standard
    http://www.faronics.com/html/product.asp
    Read the manual first, because this is a very unusual software otherwise you won't be able to work with it.

System Safety Monitor
    http://www.syssafety.com/
    freeware version or paid version

If you do it right ShadowUser will clean your computer after each reboot, but you will need security softwares to prevent the execution of malware during the period between two reboots.

Watch your post for awhile you might get other good advices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.