ShadowUser Problem

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by alloucho, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

I´ve just installed a trial version of ShadowUser to try it. After install and reboot, it shows this message!:ouch:
    What´s the problem??

Attached Files:

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It would help to know what security programs you have installed, and if you have Acronis installed.

3. alloucho

Problem Resolved:D
    I had used tuneup styler 2 which had changed my boot.ini file. So i restored the origonal boot.ini settings and now all is fine.:D

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

LOL. You are now a ShadowUserUser. ;)

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Ha, so>

I just wish your discovery could have come forward much earlier, say 2-3 years.

I have tried so hard to install Shadow User pro then, each time the driver just missed out. I used TuneUp styler 2---for boot screen, welcome screen etc--at the time. Never thought there was a close relation between these two.

TuneUp styler has recently caused several problems. I have to revert it back to window default setting in order to install SP3. Well, gaining some, losing some.

You can try Shadow Defender, which has similar or better features than SU.
    If you are happy with SD, and like to keep trying for a longer time, PM me, I may be able to help.

6. alloucho

Thanx Perman for the Advice. I tried Shadow Defender before.
    It has a nice gui, don´t require reboot to enter a shadow mode, Exclusion List ...
    But it can´t support shadow mode over reboot, and that´s why i choose SU. It´s the only that has this feature. I have tried many others like Returnil, Shadow Defender, Deep Freeze, Power Shadow; but no one has this feature.

7. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

all are good and well update which shadow user aint:)

so skip it before u descover other wierd stuff like lock drives u didnt choose etc`...its about 2-3 years never update software

cheers:thumb:

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, I thought
    When you enter shadow mode, user has options of (1) get out of shadow mode upon reboot or (2) continue shadow mode after reboot.

The newest build is 254 now. It can, reportedly, guard low level of attacks.

You know, Demoneye is right, SU has not been updated for few years, it is awaiting adoption, or to be recycled. may not be safe to use in today's environment.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Demoneye has been reporting what has been circulating as rumors here at Wilders only by a clique of people who for some reasons repeat like broken records that ShadowUser is in its death throes.

It is actually speculation: StorageCraft is behind SU, and it is well respected when people talk about ShadowProtect. Let's talk about ShadowDefender: It is most likely a one man band, Chinese based (which means communications problems forever) highly unstable (they can disappear as quickly as they have appeared) and imitating a product that for all their criticism is still unique.

There are two problems with ShadowUser: It's not Vista compatible (it is true there are no signs to upgrade) and its price - 69 $ which might be a lot for some people (The same people might not blink at paying 50 $ for a useless defragmenter).

I've had it for 3 years and counting on my XP laptop without one single issue, and malware free. I'd buy it again if it were available for Vista.

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, IMO

the first problem will kill business expansion, consequently, hurting the bottom line.
    The second problem will stop the influx of new users.(because $69 is US$, not Italian Lira, eh?)
    When two problems compound together, the impact is exponentially.

Storage Craft will not be dragged under water line by whatever the negative outcome SU may have. After all Storage Craft has and will continue to develop other product such as shadow protect. As to Shadow User, what User ? Next subject ! please.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I read enough interest in ShadowUser people even today, long after it has all been but left in limbo, but i say never let die.

However remote, there always remains at least an inkling of hope that they might at some stage give it attention once again someday, but who knows, ShadowProtect is their FlagShip Product right now and no doubt are exercising all their development interest in it and ShadowDefender for the foreseeable future, even though ShadowUser has been a really useful product for many and seems still is.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

IMO, you need an update: Italian liras have changed into Euros ages ago, so we are talking about 60 Euros, expensive, but then good things have a price.

It is amazing how the most negative and gratuitous comments about a software come from people who never tested the program or couldn't even install it properly(your own admission).

You haven't been asked to judge ShadowUser impact in Storagecraft business future: This software works as advertised and it is not about to be withdrawn like many other excellent names.

Before you dismiss my 'on topic posts' as "next subject please" I'd like to remind you that if you want to talk about ShadowDefender you ought to open another thread, thank you.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The Logical answer to all that is a very simple business policy thats been proven for ages, and it goes like this.

The more a business maker has to offer it;s customers in the way of products, the more revenue.

Simple Logic, the same applies to grocery outlets, automobiles, etc.

Motto is never confine your market to only a few choices, their too easy to simply pass right on by and ignore. Plus a successful enterprise always covers the entire gambit of potential profit and leaves nothing for their competitiors to open a following for.

EASTER

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Just to correct the impression here. Shadowdefender is not a StorageCraft product, only ShadowUser.

Pete

15. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

hey OSBAN i am talking on facts no child rumors d00d , so dont let the facts became some sort of rumors.

SU is old and its last build 2.5.0.225 stay last for 2-3 years = facts
    another isue with SU , it got some problems that noone give aXXX , u can dig over in there support forum and read all about it (posts from 2006 lol)

so better buy up to date software with all new components build in (secuirty ,stabilty...etc...)

cheers:cautious:

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

No Sir you are not talking facts, and if I were you I would start checking your spelling as reading your posts is becoming a real embarrassment. You have neither tested nor downloaded ShadowUser, and if you really want to talk about its forum, it is one with very few complaints over the years.

17. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, I fully understand where are you coming from; a die-hard of SU. And I know I have no possible/reasonable way to change your mind, but you need to come to the grip of true, hard fact; SU is 3 years behind the trend; mind you, 3 years is a long long time travel for cyber security applications.

Have you heard about malwares such as RoboDog, Killdisk, spoclsv.exe, Xiaohao.exe and etc and etc three years ago? these are lately evolved evils. How could SU guard you against these without any upgrades/updates ? Unless you are still travelling in those time zones..

Without any updates/upgrades for any given application, especially one such as SU, claiming to fight off any virus, malware, for an extended period of time, is the equivalence of sending out its own obituary .

I know you may not yield any trace of consent regarding my opinion, but I will not lose my appetite of lunch over that. Luckily, I have parted with SU long long time ago.

There is no need to start a new thread for SD, just because there are lots lots of discussions about it already. Have a nice one.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  18. ErikAlbert

"Old" FDISR is also killed by these malwares, nevertheless I keep on using it.
    Faronics Anti-Executable kills these malware immediately as unauthorized executables without asking questions followed by a popup announcement of death and certificate of death.

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

No, I won't have a nice one from you. I'm sick and tired of being treated as an idiot by people who just don't know what they are talking about. Let me repeat once again: You have neither tested nor downloaded ShadowUser, and therefore that doesn't give any credibility to what your are saying. You haven't parted with SU, because you NEVER had SU on your system.

I'm not I die hard SU, and I don't see why you should change my mind: After 3 years of trouble free tenure of SU, why on earth should I think it is an obsolete application?

Let's get into the robodog mantra: Some sandbox applications are updated to protect against some very specific malware. Returnil to name one, resists to all these attacks. ShadowUser doesn't, FD ISR doesn't and perhaps a few more don't. How many attacks are we talking about? Maybe 3-4- Five at the most, these applications are not antivirus programs which need an update every day.

Most people at Wilders if they are running a sandbox they certainly have something else (it's called layered defense): Now Mr Knowhow what is the difference between ShadowUser + AntiExecutable versus Returnil + AntiExecutable? Only one: ShadowUser can do much more than Returnil.

20. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

I admire your wisdom--knowing FD-ISR 's shortcoming and patch it with AE.

But some people do not have these courageous to make any necessary adjustments. Lucky you.

21. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

As licensed user of SU i decided to stop using it, becuase of the fact that
    the development stopped a few years ago.
    (see previous posts for the mentioned reasons).

But to be honest, i like AE, but anti-executable is not THE solution for me, there are too many different ways that malware can slip into your system in a way that AE can't see them.
    Thing like worms etc. IF you have SU and/or AE running, there is still a chance that non froozen disks or networked systems/shares or disks
    or (by temporary infection ) mail users in your address book can be infected.
    So a more complete HIPS and a good AV etc. is always usefull.

Another problem that i found, is that a lot of people try to use
    the excluded directories of the froozen c:\ disk for their AV updates.

In may cases this doesn't work correctly because changing data in the froozen registry or other directories (temp etc) is often needed.
    So you might end up with a corrupted AV.

In Deepfreeze or simular programs, this mistake is of course not possible.

22. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Tuneup and the TUKernal.exe can interfere with other programs working.

I used SU alot in the past and I think it is still a good app.

23. ErikAlbert

SU is certainly still a good application, because it's a recovery software and it is one of the very few ISR-softwares, that can handle reboot-softwares.

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Oh Crap.

Sorry about that. With all these Shadow this and thats, i naturally assumed (incorrectly with SD obviously), it was also a StorageCraft production.

Thanks for setting me straight on it.

I'm about all shadow confused anymore. LoL

25. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I've just decided to install SU again. B i g mistake installing on a system with PowerShadow also - I am now stuck in a shadow session with no normal means of releasing the system.

The system entered a shadow straight after installing SU but also shows that the C drive is shadowed by PS also and both programs have all their options greyed out, SU had its activation greyed out as well and the 30 day trial never changed - the only options I have/showing for PS is to quit and shutdown or restart and, restart or disable with SU - anything I choose will not release the drive, safe mode is no help also. I'm just burning off a ERD Commander 2005 boot CD and see what I can do. Be warned!

Strange but probably just a result of two shadow programs but I'll also investigate these programs later for answers ;)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.