Shadowsurfer and backup problem.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by pugmug, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

I downloaded the free Shadowsurfer 2.5 from here. http://www.storagecraft.com/download.html Installed,used and liked it very well. I also use Casper XP 3.0 http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/ to make full hard drive backups every other day and like it well also. My problem is Shadowsurfer will not let itself be backed up to a different hard drive by Casper even when Shadowsurfer is taken out of startup and is not active,just used on demand. Any others ran into this problem and if so is there a work around for it as I would like to keep using both programs? Thank's for any input.

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there, I don't quite follow what you're saying: How do you know that Shadowsurfer is not backedup? All of your harddrive is imaged except for Shadowsurfer? Is your drive partitioned? Have you tried to restore from your image?

I use ShadowUser which is very similar to ShadowSurfer along with Acronis TI 9, with no problems. I do however only image my system outside the Windows environment as it is less likely to generate conflicts.

3. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Osaban,nice of you to try and help. Casper backs up all other programs and files as normal until it comes to Shadowsurfer. It then stops with a 170 error number and states that a Shadow file can not be copied which corrupts the whole back up on the second hard drive.The back up h/d is partitioned as a drive D with a small page file as drive I.When I remove the Shadowsurfer program off of C drive all is well with Casper again doing it's back up job.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I don't know anything about Casper, but most of these programs offer the possibility to image while Windows is running and outside Windows, that is you boot with the CD supplied by the imaging program or you create one.

If you haven't tried that I suggest to do it as it is the safest way to create an image without any problems.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Osaban

I don't think Casper images perse. I think it copies files, and makes the target drive a bootable disk. I looked at it a long time ago but it wouldnn't work with external drives. Now I have an internal drive, but it has lost it's appeal to me.

Pete

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Pugmug

i suspect your two options are 1) Contact the casper folks and see if they can help, or 2) Change to an imaging program such as Acronis True image or Shadow Protect

Pete

7. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Thank you to the people that gave feedback to me on this question. After thinking about this problem for a few days and preforming a mod on an IDX file in Shadowsurfer both programs work well together. Thank's again for the input.

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@Pugmug
    Would you mind expanding a bit on what you did?
    Thx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.