ShadowProtect (Trial/Evaluation) what's the difference?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Genady Prishnikov, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@grnxnhm
    Hello
    Why not? :)
    Having been re-reading the home page prior to purchase I too saw this "IT edition"
    Me drooling too.
    Would happily pay more than for Desktop app and annual licence but not $3500/pa !
    LOL how about $100 up front and $50 pa/seat LOL: OK? Deal?
    CAn my people meet with your people?

Dumb-ass Q of the week: Could we not just run the "exe" of the desktop edition from CD?
    And still keep a different PE Boot CD if needed
    Or somesuch?

I hope your sales guys know there really is a potential user base here
    Regards.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i cant seem to boot from the acronis restore cd eiether which is bad since ive got acronis true image and use it for images
    lodore

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Then, unless you've got some other imaging utility or other back-up system or other bootPE to restore your images: when you cook your HD: YOU ARE TOAST.

If you cant boot to a recovery environment for restore what is the point of having the tool?

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

that is the problem i dont know what to do about it
    i need to contact acronis about it
    lodore

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Use Bartpe, it works fine.

6. Peter2150

Having beta tested on the IT edition, I can confirm it is sweeeeet. But yeah the price.

Here's the catch22. You lower the price to make it a lot more attractive to the home market, and then you are serving a market that needs significantly more support(see the acronis forum), but are selling at a price that you simply can't afford to provide it. I think that is a major problem for acronis.

For sure the Shadowprotect products are more expensive, but they also simply are better. Faster, and a key point, more reliable. If you value your, time,system, and data, then a few extra dollars are worth it.

Pete

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thats very true i dont mind spending a bit more if it does the job faster and is more reliable.
    time is money after all.
    lodore

8. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

Thanks Pete, that's good info. :)

9. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

No, it won't work. You can run ShadowProtectPE.exe from the Desktop/Server Edition recovery environment CD (there is in fact a link in the root of the CD for this purpose - to run the app from within live windows), however only IT Edition will allow you to take hot images in this way. I believe you can still restore to data volumes and mount images if you run the Server/Desktop Edition recovery environment app from a live windows system rather than booting the actual CD.

IT Edition is so expensive because it is so powerful. A copy of that product enables a user to do hot imaging, with zero install, on an unlimited number of machines. Consider an enterprise that has ten servers and uses IT Edition rather than purchasing Server Edition for each server. They actually save a lot of money. If they pay for Server Edition on each server then they gain the ability to have scheduled automated backup on their hosts.

10. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

Although I'd prefer them to do so, dramatically reducing the price of the IT edition to make it available (financially) to home users isn't very sensible. However, offering the WinPE Recovery Environment CD seperately and for a reduced price seems entirely viable and profitable.

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

grnxnm: Dumb question from me... :D

ShadowProtect v3 is supposed to bring Vista support. Is there anything preventing SP's v2 boot Recovery CD from imaging Vista? Unless there is something fundamentally different in Vista's file structure, seems like it would worko_O

12. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

Yeah, I think you have a good point. I'll bring it up on Monday. Thanks!

13. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

Well, yes and no. The current recovery environment can easily backup a Vista volume from within the bootable CD environment. However, there is a gotcha here, which is that Vista has dispensed (optinally) with the boot.ini file in favor of a more flexible database (the Boot Config Database - BCD) and it's possible with the current release of the recovery environment that if you restore a Vista volume to a partition that isn't refrenced as the active partition in the BCD then the volume may not boot and would require you to do some BCD repair.

Of course the 3.0 recovery environment can patch the BCD.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what about doing that and allowing to use it on two machines for people who cant afford two licenses?
    lodore

15. walking paradox

Another suggestion, for if and when you begin to offer the WinPE Recovery Environment CD seperately, is to implement one of the following:

-Allow the WinPE CD to be used on multpile PCs (lodore's idea) probably in the range of 2-3 since many home users have multiple computers

OR

-Offer multiple license versions of the WinPE CD for a reduced cost than simply buying multiple individual license WinPE CDs.

AND/OR

-Offer a similar unlimited license for the standard (Non-IT Edition) WinPE Recovery Enviroment as you do for the IT Edition. So the software remains the same as the WinPE Recovery Enviroment that you get with the Desktop version, but you have the unlimited license similar to the IT Edition, without the inaccessible price tag.

16. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Better yet, make it free for one day, for those that type in this topic:D

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i wish:D
    lodore

18. Peter2150

There's an old adage "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride" It's a good thing posting is free, cause I think these posts are a waste.

Grnxmn said he would bring it up, but remember he is a technical guy, not a marketing guy, and remember Storagecraft's business is primarily enterprise. If I were a betting person, which I am not, I'd bet none of these "marketing" idea's will ever come to pass.

19. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

You're probably right Pete. Nobody should be holding their breath for this. I'd bet against it personally.

20. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Peter, obviously it was a joke.:p I don't expect anything.
    I'm not serious 24/7, that's for sure. Life is not complicated, we complicate it.

21. walking paradox

I think the plees for making it free were in jest. My marketing ideas however were serious, some moreso than others, but all legitimate ideas. The most reasonable one being the first one I proposed, that they should offer the WinPE Recovery Environment seperately and for a reduced price. This is an entirely viable proposition, one that would probably be profitable for StorageCraft and pleasing to their customers, especially to their potential ones like myself.

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sure u can, even with an older version 7, the one I am using ATM.

23. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I agree with you. Customers that don't want to use anything other than the CD could benefit, and SP would be more attractive that way.

grnxnm: By the way, is ver.3 going to be able to save empty disk space for linux (ext3, etc)? I seem to recall you saying that present SP couldn't exclude free space while imaging for these file systems. But i don't remember if you answered about future SP versions.
    TIA

24. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

I filled out the application form and received my download instructions this morning. Running from the recovery environment, I have made and restored an image. I must say I am quite impressed with the ease and speed. One question to those using the product: I have not been able to restore an image through the desktop application. It fails each time. Has anyone else had this problem? Within the CD recovery environment - perfect. I can see why some would rather just use that each time. Impressive!

25. Peter2150

If you run like I do, with just one partition, then you can't recover it thru the desktop. I normally just like the CD environment, although when I was testing the IT edition, it really is slick.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.