ShadowProtect Recovery CD Rom

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Osaban, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hello there,

I've applied for an evaluation of ShadowProtect on my new computer. Got the e-mail from support asking to create a CD from the .iso image file download.

I burned 3 CDs with different softwares as I wasn't sure about the results and they all failed to show the pre-boot screen from ShadowProtect giving you the choices in the recovery environment.

I thought I was doing something wrong, and when I tried the 3 CDs on my old XP laptop they worked very well.

What should I do? Am I supposed to to change the the boot sequence on my new computer? Am I missing something? Mind you I find the whole thing fairly complicated for a download.

My computer is an Asus W2P with Vista Ultimate.

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Yes you need to reboot and enter the bios to change the sequence so that you can boot from the CD before the Hard drive.

Not sure how you would do this for your machine. Try pressing F4 or F2
    perhaps your boot screen will advise how you enter the bios ?

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks, I'm going to try that. What happens afterwards, do I have to reset the sequence or is it going to boot into Windows anyway?

4. Long View

if there is no boot cd it will just boot from the hard drive. You say you made 3 CD's ? I only have one - which gives me a few choices - I use the vista option as this is the fastest.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I also have 3 CD's.
    Suppose a destructive malware kills your harddisk and the normal used CD doesn't work anymore, because it's worned out or you damage it.
    How are you going to restore your harddisk, when your CD doesn't work anymore ? Create another one ? Your computer doesn't work.
    That's why I have a second CD to restore my only computer.

I have of all my software CD's an extra copy and an ISO-file to re-create them over and over again. How much time will I spend to get those CD's back, if they are damaged. My MS Office CD is already 8 years old.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Plastic IS NOT reliable enough, in fact it can suffer corruption from temperature variations just sitting in your dwelling.

Thats why i incensely disagree with program vendors who only make available plastic Recovery Disks to activate or run your only source of rescue, at the very least they should allow a customer to burn an ISO or copy over to an alternate hard drive for safer storage.

That is one reason i will not buy ShadowProtect period no matter if it's super duper best of the best because you cannot depend on PLASTIC for rescue.

Metal yes, plastic no. And i also furthermore don't subscibe to having to request another disk when the plastic junk wears out.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

AFAIK, they allow you to download the ISO.

8. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I guess millions of people rely on CD's,never heard that plastic was their main problem.

From your sig i read your using Paragon,i suppose that you have a metal Recovery CD ?

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Easter, you are way out in left field with your facts. How do you think Shadowprotect is delivered. You download an ISO, which you can then burn to CD. That CD is then both the recovery CD and the install CD. I have my ISO's stored on multiple external drives on several machines, so i can always burn a new one if needed. And since I use it frequently, I have an idea of it's condition.

Also if you can't depend on "plastic" for rescue, what do you use?

Pete

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The only material which is infinitely more dependable and least likely to suffer scratches or just decay from time & temperature, which is METAL!

I use a Hard Drive to keep all my rescue files on. I do also have plastic unfortunately including XP Pro install disc, but they are still too prone to damage, and all it takes is a single scratch to render them useless.

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Thats why you make ISO backups from the disc and also make multiple copies of the disc.

12. Long View

there is a misunderstanding here. In post #1 I got the impression that Osaban had 3 different versions "I burned 3 CDs with different softwares". I realise now that he meant that he burned the iso with 3 different programs.

As to your point- I have several CD's ( just to be safe). If burned properly on good media ( I only ues Taiyo Yuden) I find that disks do not fail. I have CDs burned on a 1X machine in 1996 which work fine and DVDs from 2001. Although I tend to laugh at layered security I do keep multiple copies of anything inportant, on site, off site, on DVD , on external drives and some in a fireproof safe. Since starting with pcs I estimate that I have used or still use
    50 or more drives ( IBM360 1992 - 60meg) and none have ever failed or been eaten by malware - but you never know so I do keep lots of copies

13. Long View

you might want to take a look at http://dvdisaster.net/en/index.php and read up on error correction theory. A single scratch ( or even many scratches) need never render a CD or DVD useless.

14. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Hard drives go south too.

DVDisaster is THE solution for reliable storage on optical media.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thats true, but not near the percentages of them compared to plastic.

Maybe i came on as a little overly harsh in my opinions of them, butbeing old school i never had a problem with a single executable as compared to a CD disc. I just think sooner or later they are bound to go whereas an electronic executable as a far longer lifespan in comparison, at least this been my expreience in the past.

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Easter, how can you do any restore without a CD

17. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I have CDs from 1998 (burned CD-Rs, not printed CD-ROMs) which still work fine while I've seen some HDD die :)
    I'd guess he uses another HDD with an OS installed.

18. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Hmmmm... let me guess,O yes i know why he never need it ! Because his setup is rocksolid and fantastic balanced and also he use only the very best softwares on the market today,so his beautyfull and wondrous configuration is inert to destruction,simple hence there's never a need to recover. LOL :D :D

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

This is exactly what I meant. As the the first CD wouldn't boot on my new computer, I thought at first I was doing something wrong and tried burning the .ISO file with other programs until I realized it might have to do with the boot sequence (a piece of information that Storagecraft could add to its delivery e-mail).

All is well thanks, it works fine, I haven't tried to restore yet, first I'd like to familiarize myself with Vista.

20. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

But lets not forget he has that other unique earth shattering wonder EazFix:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.