Shadowprotect evaluation?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Teknokrat, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teknokrat

Teknokrat Registered Member

Hi!
    I am currently looking for an alternate backup solution. Previously I have used Acronis TrueImage 10 (OEM) but after I've read about problems with TI I've started looking for a new program. I have not had any problems with TI (mainly because I never have needed to restore :) )

I've actually purchased BING/IFW/IFD already but I would also like to try Shadowprotect :shifty:
    As SP seem to have lots of fans here so I was hoping that someone know if it's possible to get a trial version? I only find a request for evaluation for companies?

Thank you in advance,
    T

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

On the ShadowProtect main page, just click on the link that says "30 Day Free Trial".

sshot-15.jpg

Also iirc, the difference with the evaluation is you get a rescue CD for doing restores. And btw you can request the evaluation, you dont to be a company.

3. Teknokrat

LOL
    I must be blind!:ouch:

Thanks - sorry I had to ask. I really should've seen that myself!

regards,
    T

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the one that appears to be for business use is to download the vistape recovery cd.
    if you decide to buy make sure the recovery cd sees your hard drives before you buy it. aka fill in the form that looks like its for business download the .iso image and burn to cd.

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

AFAIK as a home user its possible to request a full evaluation version,just ignore the words ''for companies'' and fill in the form.

6. Teknokrat

OK, thank you all!
    I'll go for a request so I won't miss out the CD-image.

cheers,
    T

7. appster

appster Registered Member

That's good advice -- unfortunately for me, SP's Recovery CD did not find my HDDs! :doubt:

8. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Also make sure all traces of Acronis are gone, otherwise you'll get a BSOD, due to incomplete uninstall from Acronis. :eek:
    Had the same here, so I followed the advice on StorageCraft's forum to remove it completely.

Just a word of caution. ;)

9. Teknokrat

:thumb: Thx for the warning, Eldar.
    Probably saved me a lot of time troubleshooting.

A cpl of new HDs will give me the room needed for some more testing/evaluation.

regards,
    T

10. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Latest version of SP (3.2.02) automatically detects a critical Acronis file (forgot the name) when this is in your system. You get an alert (when it is there) when installing SP.

BTW I'm a long time user of BING and from my experience this is a very reliable proggie. I have switched to SP for the speed and did not regret my move for 1 second. I'm using SP for a couple of months now. It never failed in restoring plus it is fast as lighting. I only make plain vanilla images/restores. I don't use all the bells and whistles.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  11. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

My pleasure Tecnokrat. ;)
    Here's the topic in question: Potential SPD purchaser with the exact procedure to remove the snapman.sys driver which is still active.
    Failing to do that will result in a BSOD when using SD.

I liked Acronis a lot and it worked great (version 9) on my system (apart from the buggy releases), but since I changed to SD to try it out, it's here to stay. :)

IMHO you won't regret using SD. It's a bit pricy, but worth the money you'll save when something happens. :thumb:
    :rolleyes: Why didn't it detect it before?
    Oh well, ATI is gone, so no more problems, although I don't like manual registry interventions, which could result in more problems.
    And of course my ISR came to the rescue, when I did something wrong. :D ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.