ShadowProtect Desktop V3.5 released

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Creer, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creer

Creer Registered Member

2. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Had not been able to run earlier version of SP on my Thinkpad T400 but now with 3.5, it works! Back again to my favorite imaging app.

Gary

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am not currently a ShadowProtect user but I have one question (for future reference):

1. What do you get for the $16 Annual Maintenance Fee?

Thanks in Advance.

4. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

As long as your maintenance is current, you get ALL upgrades free of charge (particularly applies to major releases, e.g. from 3.x to 4.x) as well as technical support via phone or email.

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Trying out the full version isn't easy for a home user. Advice has been to request an evaluation to be able to get the recovery media.

The form you have to fill in includes Job Title and Organization that need to be completed. In my case, neither apply, but you can't submit anything until all fields marked with * are entered.

So what's the point in all that? They do say at the top of that page it's an enterprise product, but home users can download the desktop edition from the link provided. However, from reading posts here, it doesn't include the recovery element. It doesn't make sense not to provide that to test when evaluating the product, but the evaluation request form seems more geared towards the corporate market.

6. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Well, 16 bucks is not free to me :D .

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes, but without the mainenance deal, if you want a major upgrade you would have to purchase it.

8. Peter2150

You can easily fill out the evaluation form. Many have. As to the point of it. They have to keep track of the number of recovery environments they give out, as they have to pay Microsoft a fee for each one.

Desktop version they don't have that issue, so you can just download it. Just have no restore capability.

9. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I knew that Peter. I was just venting a little frustration at money sucking ploys like "For only $29.99 per month you can make all the long distant calls in the USA for FREE!"

SourMilk out

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I want to ask two Qs.

1- Can u restore an image to a smaller partition?
    2- If u image on sector by sector basis, does SP able to flush out empty space while imaging?

These two features are there in ATI.

11. Peter2150

Hi Aigle

On no.1, I believe it may now be implemented, but even before it was doable. When I had to break my Raid array and run on one drive, I was essentially restoring to a smaller partition. What I just did was take the partition on the raid array, and shrink it until it was less then half size, and then image it.

Not sure what you mean on no. 2.

And yes there are a lot of features in ATI not in SP, to which I say thankfully.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.