ShadowProtect Desktop 3 is out...

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by HAN, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I just purchased/downloaded a copy (BIG download... 318 MB.) I only run SP as a boot CD environment. After burning the ISO, I gave it a quick test. Worked great! I chose to boot into the Vista environment (not legacy.) Some nice, new options like CD/DVD burning and image verification. Even hardware independent restoration!

Overall, I'm very pleased. I'll be doing a few more tests in the coming days (like trying out the DVD burner etc.)

http://www.storagecraft.com/products/ShadowProtectDesktop/

2. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I was looking forward to this release. I tries SP ver 2? and had issues w/ FD-ISR. Heard they were fixed a while back along w/ Raid 0 compatibility, but I decided to wait for ver.3.

I just requested an Enterprise version eval.

Currently I'm using ATI ver.9. It takes 45min to image & 6hours to recover my 52GB drive.

...screamer

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Had never issues with ver. 2 ,but also curious about universal restore,buy me a new vista rig and replace this vista stuff with an image of my good old XP install,what are the cranckles and hooks with this option i don't know,maybe Pete have something to say about this.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

HIR will work, but, there is a caveat. HIR's purpose is to get the computer to boot. Won't necessarily work that well. Once booted, then you have to update drivers, etc to polish it off.

If you can you'd be smarter to buy a rig that already has XP on it.

WHen I tested the HIR I was amazed at what it could do, but still system's are rough after initial restore.

I have two desktops, one AMD and one Intel. I cross installed images. Also I have a pentium 4 laptop with promise raid, and I restored it on the desktops. So it does work, so long as you understand the objective.

Pete

5. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

I am about to purchase upgrade to 3.0 desktop but am thinking is it worth getting 1 year maintainence plan on this. Anyone bought that opition or think it is better no to and why. Thanks.

Gary

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Can u give some details about how fast it is? Some numbers etc.

Thanks

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm not going to upgrade. SP v2 is good enough and I only need it for my system partition. I don't need SP under Windows anymore.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

My system partition = 11.4gb and I use only the Recovery CD.
    Backup time = close to 4 minuts. Restore-time = close to 6 minuts.
    The loading time of the Recovery CD = 3m30s.
    ShadowProtect Desktop v3 = close to $80

9. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I just installed it in Vista. 17 minutes for a full backup of my C drive 35GB @35MB/s (in the background while using the computer as usual).

I havent restored yet though, but looking at the history of Shadowprotect (in my machine at least) I have no doubt what so ever it wont work.
    Now I am just waiting for my new serial so I can activate it in Vista. I have the one year maintenance.
    And fyi to anyone has bought the one year maintenance : We will get a email within a week with the product key and a link to the new ISO file.
    No worries :thumb:

10. Peter2150

I did. Gets you all updates and upgrades. So if you had bought 2.0 around this time last year, you'd have gotten 2.5 and now 3.0.

I think it's worth it.

11. Peter2150

You might want to rethink that. The new recoverey disk(assuming you aren't using nvidia raid) loads in about half the time, and also the restore times are shorter.

12. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Pete,

Is there anything special I need to do w/ re: to FD-ISR & Raid 0?

...screamer

Edit: nVidia Raid 0

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  13. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I,m using SP for more then a year, up until now i never got it to work on my main rig,have no complaints because the recovery disk is reliable and very fast and as Pete said version 3 recovery environment is all the more faster,so i got to scrape some money together to get version 3 !

14. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

I'm wondering if it would be wise to get the service for 1 year because I'm assuming that when xp service pack 3 and Vista service pack one comes out it might change the 2 so much that a newer version of ShadowProtect will be needed above newly released version 3?

15. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

For you guys with nForce chipsets, use the "Legacy" environment when booting the recovery CD. This "Legacy" environment isn't really old, it's just based on Windows Server 2003 rather than Vista, and has better support for nForce. Microsoft shipped crap drivers for nForce with Vista-WinPE (upon which the "Recommended" environment is based). You should have no disk or network issues with nForce as long as you use the Legacy environment.

16. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I'll post back later today with more info... :)

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so can the version3 recovery cd reconize any nvidia chipset?
    inculding 650i and 680i?
    because when i get a new computer at christmas if i want to use a winpe cd with paragon i will need a new iso from paragon with the 650i or 680i chipset drivers on it.
    but if i buy shadow protect desktop for that computer i can just burn the iso to disc and use it.
    lodore

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

@Peter
    @Sukarof

Thanks for the details.

19. Peter2150

Hi Lodore

Haven't got v3 of desktop yet, but v3 of the IT edition should cover all the nvidia chipsets. I've tested it on the 590 and 680 flavor's and it works fine.

My advice would be unless you need to buy now, to wait, but if you need to buy new, I think Shadowprotect would be a good bet.

Pete

20. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

After searching high and low all over the web,i realised here in Europe there are no XP machines left to buy,everything is Vista,so the dictate from uncle Bill is very well taken by the industry.

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi peter,
    thanks for the info.
    i can probaly get paragon to make me a new iso with the right drivers on it.
    and that will save me $80 or £40.
    im not sure which i will do yet since i like the idea of doing incremental images every 15mins to a second hard drive.
    or even hourly would do.
    but im sure i can set paragon to do on a schdule.
    lodore

22. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

Yes. When you boot the ShadowProtect Desktop/Server 3.0 Recovery Environment CD, at the start of the boot process select to boot the "Legacy" environment rather than the "Recommended" environment. The legacy environment is based on windows server 2003 and has been thoroughly tested for proper nForce storage and network driver support.

23. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

The question still stands then, "Would it be worth it to buy the 1 yr service/maint for Shadowprotect now with ver 3 when XP sp3 and vista sp1 on the horizon? With these changes predicted in the 2 service packs, will it change so much that a newer version of shadow protect be needed and if so will that happen in less than 1 year?" Anyone have a handle on when these service packs will hit the market? Perhaps I'll ask storagecraft....

24. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Custom configurations are available here with XP.
    http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks grnxnmm.
    i find it a bit annoying the price has gone up from $70 to $80 but oh welll.
    i will have to work out if i will buy it or not.
    it will cut £40 out of my new computer fund.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.