ShadowProtect Compatibility

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Ed_H, Sep 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have been using SP for several years and would like to add and additional imaging program. Will I run in to any problems if I install Macrium Reflect or
    AX64 Time Machine along with SP? Thanks!

2. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

Although I don't have both of them installed now, just a few months ago, I had ShadowProtect and Macrium Reflect installed at the same time on a Win xp system and I didn't have any problems. Now I have a Windows 7 system and have Macrium Reflect installed. When I need my Shadowprotect backups, I use the restore cd rather than installing it again. Hope this helps!

3. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Thanks...I'l give them a try together or perhaps just run ShadowProtect from the boot disk.

I am curious why you chose Macrium Reflect over ShadowProtect for your Windows 7 system.

4. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Shadow Protect is NOT compatible with AX64 Time Machine at this time.

5. chattycathy

Macrium Reflect will make backups of directories that you want rather than a full backup. I like having that option. Sure I can do a copy & paste within Windows but there have been times when I would rather use my backup program instead. ShadowProtect will not do that. It has to be a full backup or incremental backup. Plus, Shadowprotect runs in the background, or at least it did, and Macrium Reflect doesn't. I apologize for being so late about replying but for some reason, I don't get emails notifying me that someone has responded to the threads that I've subscribed to. I just happened to come across it by checking this forum for recent threads.

6. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Very true, Macrium Reflect doesn't run any services in the background, whereas Shadow Protect does.

Best regards,

Mohamed

7. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. Have you found Macrium to be as reliable as ShadowProtect?

8. chattycathy

I've had no problems with it so my answer will be yes.

9. aladdin

Hi Ed,

I have heard that ShadowProtect is very reliable, but never used it due to it being very, very expansive and having activation issues.

As far as Macrium Reflect is concerned it is very, very reliable. Much, much cheaper in comparison to Shadow Protect and activation is breeze. It is the best on the market.

Best regards,

Mohamed

10. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Thanks Mohamed.

You hit the nail on the head. ShadowProtect has been bullet proof for me for several years but the activation issues have gotten on my nerves. I will probably continue to use ShadowProtect from the boot disk only and also use Macrium Reflect and/or AX64.

11. aladdin

Hi Ed,

Both Macrium Reflect and AX64 are excellent products and they work great in combination with each other. The developer for both these products are generous people.

Macruim Reflect: The FREE version is excellent and not to take away from their sale, the PRO version has incremental/differential imaging. And, it doesn't have services running in the background. The PRO version allows to be installed as a boot menu too, thus keeping the boot disk in a safe place for those very, very rare occasions. Of course, one can install the FREE version as a boot menu with EasyBCD.

A secret, due to generosity, the PRO version can be activated on two computers, though don't quote me.

AX64: Isso the developer is again an excellent and generous person. At present AX64 protects one partition only. It has the best increment imaging. And, one can only restore the increment within Windows, thus it works as a snapshot program.

No activation is required for AX64.

You can't go wrong with both of them, in combination of each other.

Best regards,

Mohamed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.