ShadowDefender Question

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by TheKid7, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I haven't yet tried ShadowDefender. What does "Enable Password Control" allow you to control?

Possible Objective: Install ShadowDefender on a Teenager's PC, turn on Shadow Mode, set it to always restart to a fresh Shadow Mode and prevent the recovery of files from Shadow Mode to the Real Disk.

Thanks in Advance.

2. ratwing

ratwing Guest

This is from the Help file,I use Shadow Defender,just not the password option.

"Enable password control :

If this option is checked, a password is needed when you want to launch Shadow Defender. so nobody can change the settings without a correct password.

Need password when committing files via shell context menu :

If this option is checked, a password is needed when you commit files via shell context menu."

The only thing I am not clear about is "a password is needed when you commit files via shell context menu."

The context menu right click is only ONE of TWO ways files can be saved to
    the real disk in ShadowDefender,the other is through the GUI,by means of
    "commit now".

It would seem pointless not protect this as well,but the helpfile says:
    "commit files via shell context menu."

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Does anyone know if the Password Protection feature stops the GUI method of committing files to the real disk?

Thanks in Advance.

4. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Ok,I went ahead and enabled password protection with my ShadowDefender install.

It does indeed ask for a pass word for the right click context menu to commit,
    and once that is given,none is required for the GUI commit method.

BUT,to even open the ShadowDefender GUI,you are required to give the password.

So,our hypothical Teeny-Boopers would be blocked both directions.

Pass word required to commit by right click,password required to even open the GUI to get to the GUI commit function.

5. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

For those of you that have tried Shadow Defender is it a suitable stand alone app with something added as an on demand scanner? Also, what is the difficulty level in using it? Suitable to be installed on a family pc?

6. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Yes,you can use an antivirus with shadowdefender,and use it as a on demand scanner.

Shadowdefender is a very easy program to use IMO. Yes,it can be installed on a family PC :thumb:

7. ratwing

ratwing Guest

I also run Sandboxie,but I thank I would feel pretty good with just ShadowDefender and a ondemand scanner.

I use ShadowDefender along with Prexv for awhile,and works well also.

It is very very simple to use. A drunken cockroach could figure it out.

I thank it would be a very good app for a family computer,if you can get
    family members to use it.

8. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

Thanks. I'm going to test it out.

9. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

buck, you enter 'shadow' mode when you want to start browsing, or whatever that isn't so safe.

You can right-click on a file you're working on, that you want to keep, and 'commit' that file to the 'real environment'. Upon reboot, everything else will be discarded.

Has a few features such as password control (for right-click and commit of files), and continuing shadow mode upon reboot. With both enabled, a family member could browse the internet, use your laptop for example for a few days, but nothing would be saved, or no harm to the system. Keep in mind, windows updates, anti-virus updates etc would need to be installed when not in shadow mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.