ShadowDefender or Returnil?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by dja2k, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

You know maybe its just that Shadow Defender doesn't coexist with my setup using Acronis OS Selector to move around my Operating Systems.

dja2k

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yep, that might have something to do with it. Email support and ask.

Pete

3. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I have emailed support already and I will see what they say.

dja2k

4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Quick question about SD 1.1 or RVS 2008... I know SD covers multiple disks and RVS only covers the C: main partition. Would it be less effective of using RVS for the main C: drive in a multiple drive system instead of SD which would cover all of them? Bare in mind that programs get installed to C: and only downloads and documents are in other drives i.e. D: E: etc. If all drives were covered with SD, most likely the configuration would be to exclude all download folders and the my documents folders on the other non-C: drive.

Simple terms, is RVS better for single partition drives where as SD is for multiple partitions?

dja2k

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Dja2k,

I'm a very happy Shadow Defender user, fantastic program. What I did, seeing as I had a partition C & D was:

Moved Desktop, FF & Tbird's data, My Documents, Quicken data to D:\ then use SD on C:\.

Take Care
    Rico

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Rico, so does that mean you are using SD for only the C: drive? I am considering going from planned SD use to Returnil instead for some circumstances but I have multiple partitions.

dja2k

7. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

SD can exclude folders and files but RVS still cannot.
    SD can protect multiples drives but RVS still cannot.
    SD wins.....for now:p

8. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

1. Yes but I don't need to excluded folders but RVS does have the file manager.

2. I don't need my other drives protected either and I don't even need RVS virtual drive.

So that being said and what Rico posted in how he uses SD, then using SD for C: only and using RVS for C: only is the same thing and others do it, that's what I wanted to read.

dja2k

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  9. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Agree.....your stated needs above are simple and RVS will do for you.
    SD is more for the powerusers.

10. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Thanks nanana1 and Rico for your posts. I will try RVS 2008 and see how it goes. I just hope that since I have several partitions, RVS 2008 is sufficient to cover at least the C: drive as where SD could have covered me complete on all my drives.

dja2k

11. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Dja2k,

I'm only using SD with the C drive, D is for data & not in SD's exclusion list as everything on it would be on SD's exclusion list, so I do not apply SD to D.

Good Luck & Take Care
    Rico

12. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I'm happy Shadow Defender user. I have all my laptop partitions shadowed plus 2 usb memorys. I set up all options, settings and so on... then I activate Shadow Defender and connect (first time) to the net. After that I never shutdown protection, clean reinstall is only possibility to me.

13. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello nanana1,
    This is not entirely true. RVS 2008 Premium allows file and folder saving, import/export of custom save lists, drag & drop commit to disk, and right click commit.

As for protection of multiple drives, there has been a version available in China for quite some period of time that includes multi-partition protection.

This was deemed excessive in later versions as the majority of our target market does not have multiple drives/partitions.

Also, you will be interested to know that we have been doing feild trials of the next Beta series and it does provide protection for other drives, but in a way different than in SD ;)

I invite you to test the new Premium Edition and the next Beta series so you are up to date on new developments...

Mike

14. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Mike,
    Thanks for the clarificaton. :thumb:

I was not aware that file and folder saving in RVS is the same as file and folder exclusion in SD. If so, I stand corrected.*puppy*

Certainly, will spend sometime to test your premium edition software to learn and find out more.;)

15. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

:) The virtual solution is designed to cheat the virus/spyware, not to cheat ourself.

we are not watching the magic show and we want them to really protect our computer.

I hope some experts stand up and tell me what do them perform with real virus/spyware testing. The funny testing like creating file and restart computer is no meaning. :D

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I just knew even without Coldmoon hinting at it that Returnil was eventually gonna roll out a release with "Full Drive/Partitions" coverage.

These exchanges just confirmed that. LoL

And as far as comparisons go, anyone can plainly see where these matching up of like apps continues to be a real driving force for them to push the envelope of advancing these innovations and really benefits them all to keep pressing ahead.

Great Discussion folks, keep it up.

17. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Oh boy! I can't wait to see this :). I was going to suggest protecting other partitions, but it didn't matter if they were virtualized or not. I'm looking forward to this version, just make it bullet proof ;).

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.