ShadowDefender or Returnil?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by dja2k, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That may not be technically possible within the windows architecture. I wouldn't hold my breath.

2. Peter2150

An example of how and why I use both products.

Returnil: I have several trusted people who have access to my machines, and have never had a problem. But there are certain documents, I just flat want for my eyes only. Here Returnil is ideal. Created a virtual partition, and the documents are contained there in. Partition doesn't mount at windows boot, so must be mounted from gui, which is appropriately password protected. So when I edit, I open gui, with password, turn on session lock, and mount the partition. I do the work I need, save it and reboot. All traces gone, and partition is now just a dummy file. Perfect

ShadowDefender. I use this to protect my host when playing with malware in VM machine. Key feature is it protects both hard drives, not just c: drive.

I think both products are good with slightly different features/approaches. I would suggest understanding them, trialing, and then decide.

Pete

3. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Matching feature for feature, both are shareware in my opinion sice the freeware will not include the commit changes feature. Returnil still has a feature disadvantage in its disability to exclude folders and files.

Which is better ?.....it's really up to the individual.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The more you exclude folders and files in frozen mode, the more vulnerable your system partition becomes. I didn't exclude any folder or file in my frozen mode.

5. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well I tried to use ShadowDefender but it didn't play nice with partitions. Don't know what it did but I have a Raid0 with 240 GB (2x120 GB) and it has four partitions. Well I noticed ShadowDefender created a virtual Fat32 with about 3.5 GB and then another NTFS with 668 GB which I didn't understand. Anyways, it combined two of my partitions into one somehow screwing everything up. I had to restore all partitions to get them to work correctly again. ShadowDefender is a no go here on my Raid0 with Partitions. Next will be Returnil and I wonder if it will work well.

dja2k

6. hammerman

hammerman Registered Member

Hi Erik,

All my documents are on the system partition and I therefore need the ability to exclude my document files from protection. I would welcome this exclusion feature in Returnil and would accept the extra vulnerability.

Surely sometimes you also have to make changes to your system partition. It can't remain frozen all the time. Don't you install new software or carry out updates?

7. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Well, that's at the user's discretion to decide. The option is there and many will use it for their daily virus definition updates, etc. You can decide not to use for your total protection if you so wish....again, you decide. Returnil does not give you that choice to decide other than a virtual data partition.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

very good point.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

but some bad news to Erik. Keep in mind a lot of communication is between English and Chinese. So this is my fault. One update will be done before the other. The ability to reboot and save is about 2 months away I was just informed. That was my fault in translating.

10. ErikAlbert

I separated my system from data
    1. System Partition [C:] = Windows + Applications
    2. Data Partition [D:] = personal data, email, ...
    As long I don't need any new software, I don't want any change in my system partition and a frozen mode gives that guarantee. That's why I am in control, not the bad guys with their malware.

I don't use blacklist security softwares, so I don't have daily signature updates.
    To upgrade applications that depends on the software, but I try to upgrade as much as possible OFF-LINE.
    Unfortunately more and more softwares make that impossible, some softwares even require internet to make an installation possible.

11. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

In a typical Chinese translation then, I would not bet on a 2 months deadline for the ability to reboot and save, it just means he will be working on it.;)

12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

My personal experience - based on being peripherally involved in bringing some large manufacturing sites online - is that 2 months is an optimistic good faith estimate based on a seat-of-the-pants and rather fluid project plan. If no roadblocks pop up, the target will be doable and they pull out all stops to reach it. If there are roadblocks on the critical path...., well..., there's that whole thing of "what's the critical path?"

Blue

13. ErikAlbert

Communication is usually a problem, when you have technical difficulties.
    I hardly need support to LEARN and USE a software.
    Of course, I avoid softwares from companies, that are not able to communicate in English. I'm not going to learn another language.
    After all, English is THE language of computer, that's why I install always the English version of a software, never a software in my language (Dutch).

14. newbino

newbino Registered Member

Interesting example, Peter, thanks, you always offer stimulating viewpoints.
    I hope I am not hijacking the thread when I ask you if you care to comment on the relative advantage of this approach to using
    TrueCrypt
    personally I haven't used either but it would seem to me that TC would be simpler.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

One thing both products do is also, protect. How well just depends. But I am confident in SD in doing just this. Returnil I think, personally has more room to grow with options in the future. Who really knows what it may evolve into. Keep in mind, all of this started from my looking for a software like this that met my needs as Peter knows. And currently SD does. Just as each of you will have to decide if this is the route you want to go and what works for you. Heck, I dont mind buying licences.;) :rolleyes:

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

ok, now Erik, give my best option for software to fully restore my pc if I blow it up.;)

17. ErikAlbert

The very best ISR-software is dead and I don't see any better alternative.
    So I have no suggestions, because I never used these alternatives.
    I'm not in a hurry to find an alternative, because I'm good for the next 5 years and MAYBE another 5 years. I only keep a good eye on all these ISR-softwares, because one day I will have to use one of them.

18. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Returnil is first and foremost designed to be lean and targeted for a specific purpose: to plug the hole left in standard security line-ups. This also makes it appropriate for a wider range of potential users.

This does not mean that SD is not a good solution, that RVS OR SD is better than the other, or you are less protected using either over the other. These types of distinctions or comparisons are unproductive and confusing for the reader.

The 2.0 series is being developed to provide the most requested feature set which has selective file and folder saving while using the system protection feature as its core upgrade with the ensuing choice between caching methods. This requires a ballance between what is needed by the majority of users with those that an important subset of all users want included...

Kind regards
    Mike

19. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

The only annoyance I don't like regarding ShadowDefender is the toolbar describing that you are in Shadow Mode is always on top. This kills my PowerPoint presentations that I capture with Camtasia Studio. Wish this could be turned off. if I am missing something, please let me know. Other than that, they are both great products to me.

Gary

20. Empath

Empath Registered Member

In the control gui, under the administrative tab, uncheck the "enable desktop tip".

21. Peter2150

Ah, I don't do partitions. Each drive is only one partition

22. Peter2150

A quick answer. True crypt locks files in a vault, but when you open it and work on stuff you leave tracks. Using returnil, when I reboot, tracks are gone. Thats the difference.

23. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Your only annoyance is now gone with Empath's help tips:p

24. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Well said and agreed !:thumb:

25. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I think there is at least one more. But I wont go off topic mentioning names.

Thanks,

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.