Shadow Protect V3 First Restore

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by screamer, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. screamer

screamer Registered Member

OK, I D/L'd & burned the ISO and I'm ready to do my first restore. The last time I tried this (w/ Ver 2) I needed to re-format the box. This can't happen again since this is my work / production box.

I need someone to lay out the restore in plain English.

I know I'm gonna hear RTFM: I did, several times and I'm still uncertain about a few things.

1) Boot to Recovery CD : Legacy

2) Select Image to restore

Here's where I get confused: Backup Image Dependencies

Delete Volume: Do I delete my active Partition prior to restore, or will it copy over it?
    Set Active: Do I check this box?
    Create an exact primary partition: ??

DEll w/ nVidia Raid 0 & FD-ISR

...screamer

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Screamer.

Herer is the way I do it.

1. Boot to legacy environment
    2. Select Restore wizard, and find and select the image.
    3. The dependencies windows really only applies if you have incrementals or differentials.
    4. Next select the restore destination. WHat I do is right click on the restore target, and click on delete the volume
    5. Then I right click again and select create exact partition at the beginning of the drive.
    6. Then put a tick in the box of that drive
    7 Under restore options. The defaults should be make active, restore mbr, restore mbr from image, and restore hidden track. I also check restore the disk signature.
    8 On next window check the options and click finish.

Note if your Dell has the hidden partition, did you image the whole disk in which case you should have two images. Trying to remember as I don't restore my think pad that often, but I think I did the above with just thee c: drive.

Use alternate communication if you have further questions, or if you just want to be sure.

Pete

3. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Thank Pete !!

...screamer

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

For a regular restore i follow the wizard just as you do,but i don't delete partion first,i see no reason why i have to do that,i have never problems to restore it my way.Its my understanding that with restore, the data on partition to restore to is deleted anyway.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You are right you don't have to. But since I play a lot with different stuff, I just do that so I am restoring everything from the image.

Doing what you do is fine, but doesn't restore mbr or any track 0 stuff. I agree for most things you probably don't need it.

I've just developed the habit. That way I don't forget to do it when I need to.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.