Shadow Protect Question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Ed_H, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I am trialing SP and am trying to figure out how to get it to take incremental backups when triggered manually. It is on a laptop that is usually traveling with me so it is hard to schedule backups on a consistent basis. I have scheduled SP to do a full backup on Sundays and incrementals once per day between 1:00 am and 5:00 am. If I am traveling, I disable the scheduled run and then when I get home I enable it again. What I would like to be able to do is right click on the schedule and specify run incremental but each time I do this SP starts a full backup. Is there a work around for what I need to do? Thanks

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you trigger them manually, you might as well take differentials. No difference. Use the continous incrementals while you are home, and then cancel the job when you travel. When you get back home, recreate it. You can just disable it, and restarted it, but it's less confusing, and takes no time at all.

Pete

3. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Just to make sure I understand...if I disable the job and then enable it again will cause a full rather than an incremental backup. There is no way to do manually started incrementals or interrupt scheduled runs and restart with incrementals?

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Actually, they have the heal option reversed by accident, yes it should be able to pick up and do another incremental.

Yes actually you can do it in the scheduling, but if you do it manually you won't gain as much in terms of space saving, or time. I have continous incrementals on, on one desktop, and take an incremental every 15 minutes. It takes on average 7-10 seconds.

If It were me though, I'd let the incrementals run, and then when you return home, just start with a full image. Not that you have to, but I would. But then I also restore every image, and periodically restore an incremental. Again thats me.

Pete

PS. The heal option will be fixed in the next version.

5. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

No, actually, if you have created a scheduled job which includes incrementals in the schedule, and you disable the job, all you've done is to prevent the job from triggering the next backup until you re-enable the job. The fast incremental tracking is still occurring even if the job is disabled, so when you re-enable the job, if the next scheduled backup is to be an incremental, it will be a fast incremental. If all you wanted was fast manual incremetnals, you could create a Continuous Incremental job, and disable it and only re-enable it when you want to create a fast manual incremental. Just select the disabled job, click Enable, then right-click on the job and specify that you want it to generate an incremental immediately, and then after it's done disable it again.

At least, that's how I understand it works. I didn't write that portion of ShadowProtectSvc.exe, so I'm not 100% sure. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.