Shadow Protect issue w/ Retension policy

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by screamer, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I have SP ver3 set up w/ Retention to image E: Main Drive to C: Drive on Mon, Wed, & Fri and to F: Drive on Tues, Thurs & Sat. I set it to keep one copy of back up. delete full and incrementals. For some reason SP just adds the new back up to either directory C: & F: Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug in SP?

...screamer

duplicate post on SP forum w/o image

Attached Files:

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Were you able to do that all in one job. I've never tried the retention policy. I always set it, but ended up deleteing the files and restarting before that point. Also I do frequent images to internal drive and less frequent to external which are normally off.

Pete

3. screamer

Hey Pete,

No, these were done in two separate BU schedules. Actually I don't think internal vs. external drives is an issue here. It's the Retension Policy rule itself that's in question.

...screamer

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Unless the two schedules are bumping heads. Hopefully you'll get an answer on the other forum. I've never tried what you are doing.

5. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

Run handle.exe (from sysinternals/microsoft) with the name of the older base image file at the time you create a new base image and see if something is holding a handle to the old one which would prevent the retention policy from deleting it.

6. screamer

No such luck :( --> Couldn't reproduce problem

I was able to solve the problem by writing a batch file to delete each existing image.SPF 5 min prior to scheduled image.

This'll have to do

...screamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.