shadow protect desktop user ?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mind72, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

correct a non system disk does not need a mbr....if the image you are trying to restore has a mbr where did it come from originally was it a bootable partition??

2. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

My apologizes...I haven't been able to duplicate your issue myself. Is this still a problem for you? Thanks.

3. mind72

mind72 Registered Member

Napoleon1815 & Peter2150, many thanks on your time. I have finally manage to restore D: partition. Still don't know what 'process finished successfully' with 404 error 'system BCD was not fixed' means. I must say I'm disappointed with Shadow Protect Desktop software. Also surprised that many users on this forum suggesting SP Desktop as best 'system recovery option' with excellent support.
    This software is obviously not made for home users, restore GUI is difficult to use without spending many hours on-line searching for answers, SP 'official forum' is disabled regarding new users registration, and questions are not answered by any 'official support' member as it was few years ago stated on this forum. This month example: http://forum.storagecraft.com/Community/forums/p/3647/19139.aspx#19139
    Truth is, it is too expensive for lose so many time with it. Wonder does so many people mentioning this software on this forum even ever tried to use system restore function?? I do not see questions answered on this topic except from those few fantastic forum people above. So, where are those many people talking about SP as 'the best' restore software nowo_O
    Had buy Macrium few days ago, and restored whole w7 in a few minutes without any problems, except I have at beginning used wrong option to do it...So, if anyone ask, I must tell, Macrium is better software in terms of home user understanding how to do things. Also have excellent knowledge base on-line, great official support on-line, and costs much less than SP desktop. Also have better GUI, much easier to work with etc. etc.
    In other words, in terms of system restore - Macrium rules! :thumb:

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've done literally hundreds of restores on 4 machines, with no trouble. But I only use one partition on my drives, and that does simply things, a bunch.

Pete

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

To begin with you can't expect all the SP users at Wilders to suddenly stop what they are doing and try to help you. Some do and some either don't have the time or they don't understand your problem in order to help. SP dedicated forum has never been very chatty, but if you have an SP registration number you can certainly contact support which as far as I'm concerned has always been very competent.

Like Peter, I have done so many restorations (not hundreds, but at least a hundred) on different machines (XP Pro and Vista) through the years with no failure whatsoever (I have more than 20 images to choose from, as I use SP as a snapshot machine).

I also use my drives unpartitioned as with notebooks I use many USB drives. I have in the past partitioned my drives for a while, but in the end I couldn't see any advantage. I have never used the SP CD for partitioning, rather Eaesus Partition Master which is a program that really makes it easy and safe to partition.

I have never said SP is the best, it is very fast and reliable compared to the " others" I've tried (Acronis, Paragon, Keriver).

6. mind72

mind72 Registered Member

yes, thanks, we can than say that Shadow Protect desktop users should not expect to restore more partitions from same hdd even if they want to have it on new disc and also that they could, except expensive SP software, buy separate partitioning tool and spend few bucks more on it ... obviously, guys, you have just used on SP and using it just for certain needs. My 'need' was to successfully restore one small 80GB drive with two partitions on it ASAP! It took me almost 24 hours to get it work!! With Macrium for example, I needed under hour to understand how to do it thanks to all facts I have already written. Still, if on this forum exist users which used or use SP to restore two partitions from same hdd I would like to know answer on my question: 'process finished successfully' with 404 error 'system BCD was not fixed' (this is D: partition, no system on it). Also procedure to do it, as it is not written in ANY official 'user guide'. As a matter of fact, if you have a product for Desktop/home users than it is MUST that company provide 'step by step' guide for most likely situations, and not to make guide which understands only IT people who works daily with servers...and all this for such high price! Time is something I do not have to spend without really good reasons. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.