shadow protect desktop user ?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mind72, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mind72

mind72 Registered Member

Please, if there is any SP user currently present @Wilders who could and want to help?

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

what are you looking for? there are many of us that use it here at wilder's....you didnt post any kind of problem or anything??

3. mind72

mind72 Registered Member

Thanks, Zfactor! I been trying to register on SP forum but do not get back log-in password which is strange as I have been trying with few different e-addresses! I have just manage to restore XP system from back-up to new drive. It works!!! But I do not have a clue how to restore D partition from previous old C drive. I have separate back up of it. Also I see only 50GB on new C drive, but do not see other space (new drive is 500GB). So, basicly don't know which option to use to add another partition (D:), as there is many options :( Also not sure how to get other drive space to be visible in Windows, which are running ok. Can you please help?

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

See PM

Also you might post more detail here as other users might have another approach.

Pete

5. mind72

mind72 Registered Member

ok,more details, now I'm in Recovery Env. again. Have C: 48.76GB, and have *: unallocated not formatted 417 GB. Which option to use to add D partition from back up and after that, make available and visible rest of the new HDD free space? Or I should go from beginning again? btw. do you consider 48,76GB as too much space for Windows only? On this machine I have other program files on old D: partition, which I just need to recover...thanks ALL in advance!

6. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

What was your space for both C and D partitions before you made the images?

Now you have restored the C image. In the Windows console, first increase the space of the C partition to the original size, or use a maximum of 100 GB. Now allocate the remaining space as D partition and then restore the image of the D partition to the newly allocated space for D partition.

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

^^ i would do the same normally

8. mind72

mind72 Registered Member

Original HDD was 80GB, C: was 20GB, not sure about D: around 47GB

Sorry, can you tell me how to do that step by step? :( How to increase the space of the C partition? Why original size is important?
    How to allocate the remaining space as D partition ?
    You know, I really doing this for the first time...

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  9. aladdin

It seems like you are moving from 80GB to 500GB. I would use a cloning software first and then I will resize. I am not sure if Shadow Protect has cloning.

Here is an excellent cloning software for free:

http://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html#free

10. mind72

mind72 Registered Member

ok, now I'm completely lost. Why I should use cloning software? This 80GB is not inside machine anymore, and is not functional. SP should do this without it! Oro_O If I remember well, problem exist if smaller hdd partition is used then backup image made!
    I should somehow could to create logical D: on existing primary C: Is that right?

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  11. aladdin

Option 1: Put back the 80GB inside the machine, connect the 500GB to the machine via USB (if you have any) and then clone. Replace the 80GB in the machine with the 500GB and resize.

Option 2: If you 500GB is already in the machine and functioning properly, then resize it first to 100GB as C Drive. Right click on the "My Computer" icon and choose "Manage". You will be in the Windows Console, now resize from there.

After finishing resizing, then allocate the remaining space as D Drive from the Windows Console again.

Or use this free program to resize and allacate:

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

12. mind72

mind72 Registered Member

Thanks King of Rapture.
    Still don't understand why I should resize? I have enough space on C: ! Just need that someone tells me which option to use to re-create D: partion from SP backup and manage rest of the unallocated not-formatted space on new drive to be functional under windows. If someone know how to do it with SP, please let me know. Still don't get it why is not possible to register on SC SP forum! ?

13. aladdin

Dear Mind72,

You have moved from 80GB to 500GB. Maybe, 50GB is enough for your current use, but what about future use?

Especially, most people keep their My Documents, My Music, My Videos, My Pictures on C Drive as default by your Microsoft Operating System.

So, if you don't want to consider future, then allocate the remaining 450GB as Drive D. I have already shown you how to do this.

When you restore your 30GB image to Drive D, then again you will have 420GB un-allocated, as Drive D will now become 30GB. You can then allocate this all to Drive D, or you can create two more Drives and allocate this space to them.

However, once you restore your image on D Drive, it will be very difficult to allocate any more space to Drive C. So, it is better to allocate more space to Drive C, before you restore the image to Drive D.

I would recommend making Drive C from minimum of 100GB, to a maximum of 250GB, if you plan to keep the default settings of keeping My Documents, My Music, My Videos, My Pictures on C Drive.

This you should do, before you restore the image to the Drive D.

Hope all this make sense to you.

14. aladdin

The question is why did you buy the 500GB hard drive?

15. Peter2150

You don't need to use cloning. If you have an image of an 80gb drive, and want it to restore to a 500gb drive, ShadowProtect has an option to do that. You do that by right clicking the partition, deleting it, and then recreate the partition from the image using a use all free space option. Rest is automatic.

Pete

16. mind72

mind72 Registered Member

@KoR: 50GB is more than enough for my C: drive. I use that partition only for system files. No worry about future use!

17. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

Peter is spot on with what he said above. From the Recovery CD, just create the partition the way you want it (the size you want) and restore. ShadowProtect can do this, but can't restore to a smaller drive natively.

18. mind72

mind72 Registered Member

Many thanks Peter, what is unclear to me is, if I recreate D: partition using 'all free space option' it makes D: as another 'primary partition'. Is that right?

So, do I need to choose:
    1. create exact primary partition at the beginning of free space,
    2. create exact primary partition at the end of free space,
    3. create primary partition using all unallocated space (which I have tried, but get BCD error on SP log after successful restore!),
    4. enter size of new primary partition and create it,
    5. create extended partition,
    6. clean disc,
    7.recreate orifinal layout from the image file, 8. recreate original layout from the image file extending last partition

*also, which MBR I should use or not? disc steram? disk signature? hidden track sectors? (remember, this is not active (boot), just D: partition restore)

Is it possible that no one here don't know exact SP procedure to do this? :'( :'(

19. napoleon1815

Well assuming the D: drive will be the remainder of the current disk - and not the original size on the image - select 4. Then you will have no free disk space left. It's OK for it to be primary...you can have 4 primary partitions natively in Windows.

As for the MBR options...I always use the defaults. I believe the system selects the options based on how it reads the disk.

20. mind72

mind72 Registered Member

With option 4. SC User Enviroment give me maxium partition size 377.73 GB, but remaining space on disc is 425 GB ? So it seems again I will have unallocated space! :doubt:

I just have tried with option 3, on 'specify the restoration options' nothing is checked. Should I leave as it is? Does anyone know do I need to check HIR field regarding this D: partition restore?

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  21. napoleon1815

I would say Option 3 but it appears you already did that. I can see if I can duplicate your issue shortly.

22. napoleon1815

Also, unless I missed this in the thread, what version of the boot CD are you using? Thanks.

23. mind72

mind72 Registered Member

Many thanks!!! Latest ISO version downloaded a week ago with SP D 4.1. Not sure how I could check which ISO version it is :doubt:

24. mind72

mind72 Registered Member

Regarding D: partition have tried with option 3, on 'specify the restoration options' nothing was checked. Result was 'process finished successfully' with 404 error 'system BCD was not fixed'. Not sure what that means o_O

25. Peter2150

If you are restoring the non system partition, it shouldn't be active, and there shouldn't be a need for an mbr, assuming you aren't going to boot to it.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.